Puss in boots
- 2 x 470g packets butter cake mix
- 125 gram butter
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- green and yellow food colouring
- 1 black licorice strap
- 2 green smarties
- 2 red glace cherries
- 1 toothpick
Puss in boots
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease two 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) rectangular cake pans; line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above sides.
- 2Make cakes according to directions on packets; divide mixture evenly into pans. Bake about 30 minutes. Stand cakes in pans 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire racks to cool.
- 3Place cakes side-by-side; trim long sides so the two cakes fit tightly together. Using picture as a guide, cut puss in boots from cakes; discard excess cake.
- 4To make butter cream, beat butter until white as possible, gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar then milk, then remaining icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
- 5Position cake pieces, cut-side down, on 30cm x 40cm (12-inch x 16-inch) rectangular cake board to form puss in boots; secure with a little butter cream.
- 6Tint half the butter cream green; tint remaining butter cream yellow. Spread green butter cream over hat and boots; spread yellow on rest of cake.
- 7Outline cake and define leg with thin strips of licorice, as pictured. Cut nose and paw pads from licorice; position on cake. Use thin strips of licorice for whiskers, eyebrows, mouth and claws.
- 8Position green Smarties for eyes, halved glacé cherry for tongue and whole glacé cherry, secured with a toothpick, to tip of hat for pompom.
This is another one of those charming cakes that look so great, but is really quite easy and simple to make.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fish skewers with labne & chilli tomato saladOct 30, 2020
- Vegan mayonnaiseOct 30, 2020
- Smoky tomato & bacon frittersOct 30, 2020
- Japanese cabbage pancakesOct 30, 2020
- Vegetable & lentil pot piesOct 30, 2020
- Lemon drizzle cakeOct 30, 2020
- Luscious lemon cakeOct 30, 2020
- Blueberry muffinsOct 29, 2020
- Broccoli, mustard and cheddar hand piesOct 29, 2020
- Chocolate slab cakeOct 28, 2020
- Sensational spring dinnersOct 28, 2020
- Easy vanilla cupcakesOct 28, 2020
- Chicken & watercress pasta saladOct 28, 2020