- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 125 gram cold butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoon icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon chilled water
- 1 egg yolk, extra
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thick cream
- 3 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup (25g) coarsely chopped walnuts
Spiced pumpkin filling
- 1 kilogram jap or butternut pumpkin, chopped coarsely
- pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 cup (90g) honey
- 2 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
Spiced pumpkin & honey pies
- 1Process flour, butter and sugar until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and the water; process until ingredients come together. Divide pastry into six portions, wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, make spiced pumpkin filling; boil, steam or microwave pumpkin until just tender; drain. Process pumpkin, salt, ginger and cinnamon until smooth. Add eggs, milk, honey and sugar; process until smooth. Cool.
- 3Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line six 10cm round, 3cm deep, loose-based tart tins. Lift pastry into tins, press into base and sides, trim edge; prick bases all over with fork. Cover; refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C.
- 5Place tins on an oven tray; line each with baking paper, fill with dried beans or rice. Bake 15 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake a further 10 minutes or until browned lightly. Cool on tray.
- 6Spoon pumpkin filling into pastry cases. Brush tops with extra egg yolk. Bake pies 25 minutes or until set and light golden.
- 7Just before serving, spoon cream onto pies, drizzle with honey and top with nuts.
The pies can be made a day ahead. Before serving, reheat in a 160°C oven for 10 minutes or until warm.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesToday 1:54am
- Christmas in July recipesToday 1:30am
- Sustainable chowderYesterday 2:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect puff pastry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersYesterday 2:00pm
- How to make a chocolate hazelnut cheesecake in your slow cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- How to make classic chocolate brownies in your slow cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Spaghetti marinaraYesterday 2:00pm
- Seafood chowderYesterday 2:00pm
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best homemade sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best hummus recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020