Looking for more low-carb recipes?
- 1.5 kg butternut pumpkin, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (55g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- 4 rashers (260g) bacon, trimmed, chopped
- 2/3 cup (160ml) pouring cream
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (60g) grated pecorino cheese
- 1 tablepsoon chopped fresh chives
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line three oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Using a spiraliser or julienne attachment on a mandoline or V-slicer, cut pumpkin into long thin strips (see tips). Combine pumpkin and oil in a large bowl; season.
- 3Spread pumpkin strips in a single layer between two trays. Roast for 12 minutes or until just tender; cover to keep warm. If using thinner noodles, you will need to reduce the cooking time. Meanwhile, place walnuts and pepitas on the third tray; roast for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- 4Cook bacon in a medium frying pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add cream, milk and ½ cup of the pecorino; bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Season to taste.
- 5Carefully transfer pumpkin to a large shallow bowl. Pour sauce over pumpkin; top with roasted nut mixture, remaining pecorino and chives. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
This recipe also works with parsnip in place of pumpkin.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022