- 1.5 kg butternut pumpkin, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (55g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- 4 rashers (260g) bacon, trimmed, chopped
- 2/3 cup (160ml) pouring cream
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (60g) grated pecorino cheese
- 1 tablepsoon chopped fresh chives
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line three oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Using a spiraliser or julienne attachment on a mandoline or V-slicer, cut pumpkin into long thin strips (see tips). Combine pumpkin and oil in a large bowl; season.
- 3Spread pumpkin strips in a single layer between two trays. Roast for 12 minutes or until just tender; cover to keep warm. If using thinner noodles, you will need to reduce the cooking time. Meanwhile, place walnuts and pepitas on the third tray; roast for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- 4Cook bacon in a medium frying pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add cream, milk and ½ cup of the pecorino; bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Season to taste.
- 5Carefully transfer pumpkin to a large shallow bowl. Pour sauce over pumpkin; top with roasted nut mixture, remaining pecorino and chives. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
This recipe also works with parsnip in place of pumpkin.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsYesterday 7:15am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotYesterday 5:27am
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladYesterday 1:30am
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019