Looking for more low-carb recipes?
- 1.5 kg butternut pumpkin, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (55g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- 4 rashers (260g) bacon, trimmed, chopped
- 2/3 cup (160ml) pouring cream
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (60g) grated pecorino cheese
- 1 tablepsoon chopped fresh chives
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line three oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Using a spiraliser or julienne attachment on a mandoline or V-slicer, cut pumpkin into long thin strips (see tips). Combine pumpkin and oil in a large bowl; season.
- 3Spread pumpkin strips in a single layer between two trays. Roast for 12 minutes or until just tender; cover to keep warm. If using thinner noodles, you will need to reduce the cooking time. Meanwhile, place walnuts and pepitas on the third tray; roast for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- 4Cook bacon in a medium frying pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add cream, milk and ½ cup of the pecorino; bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Season to taste.
- 5Carefully transfer pumpkin to a large shallow bowl. Pour sauce over pumpkin; top with roasted nut mixture, remaining pecorino and chives. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
This recipe also works with parsnip in place of pumpkin.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021