Pumpkin gingerbread cake
- 185 gram butter, softened
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 centimetre fresh ginger (25g), grated finely
- 1 1/4 cup (275g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cup (450g) self-raising flour
- 3 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cooking salt
- 3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup (350g) mashed butternut pumpkin
- 2 tablespoon thinly sliced crystallised ginger
- 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped roasted pecans
- 60 gram butter
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon dark rum
Pumpkin gingerbread cake
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a deep 22cm (9-inch) bundt pan.
- 2Beat butter, extract, ginger and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until just combined. Fold in combined sifted flour, spices, salt and soda with buttermilk, in two batches, until combined. Stir in pumpkin.
- 3Spread mixture into pan; batter should nearly fill the pan.
- 4Bake cake on lowest oven shelf for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Level the base of the cake, if necessary.
- 5Make caramel sauce. Stir butter, sugar and the water in a small saucepan over low heat, without boiling, until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- 6Bring to the boil; boil for 3 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat; stir in rum. Stand sauce for 5 minutes to thicken.
- 7Place cake on a cake stand or plate; drizzle with sauce. Decorate with crystallised ginger and pecans. Serve warm or cold.
You need to cook 1kg pumpkin for the amount of mashed pumpkin needed. You can decorate this cake with Chinese candied ginger strips, available from Asian grocers.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 4:28am
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022
- 11 mouth-watering jaffles for lunchJun 27, 2022
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesJun 27, 2022
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeJun 27, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022