Processor fruit cake
- 500 gram mixed dried fruit
- 185 gram butter
- 1/4 cup (90g) golden syrup (or treacle)
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (180ml) sweet sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/3 cup (55g) blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sweet sherry, extra
Processor fruit cake
- 1Wash fruit under cold water, drain well. Chop butter, place in medium saucepan with fruit, golden syrup, sugar and sherry. Stir over medium heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat, stir in soda. Cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan forced). Grease deep 20cm (8-inch) round cake pan, line base and sides with baking paper.
- 3Blend or process fruit mixture, in several batches, until smooth, transfer to large bowl. Stir in lightly beaten eggs, sifted flours and spice. Pour mixture into pan, smooth surface. Decorate cake with nuts.
- 4Bake cake about 2 hours. Brush hot cake with extra sherry, cover with foil, cool cake in pan.
You can turn this into an 'eggless processor fruit cake', if you like. Omit the eggs, and increase the golden syrup by 1 tablespoon to ⅓ cup (155g). The cake doesn't keep quite as well without eggs, about 5 days, but will freeze for 3 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 10 recipes for a modern Australian ChristmasYesterday 10:50pm
- The Australian Women's Weekly's classic pavlova recipeYesterday 1:00pm
- Cauliflower 'rice' pilafNov 07, 2019
- Chocolate sour cream cakeNov 06, 2019
- Tomato, prosciutto and mozzarella tartNov 06, 2019
- 13 ways with broad beansNov 05, 2019
- Spaghetti carbonaraNov 05, 2019
- Gingerbread biscuitsNov 05, 2019
- Prawn, pea & broad bean frittataNov 05, 2019
- The best finger foods for your next partyNov 03, 2019
- Very green veggie curryNov 03, 2019
- Snapper and tomato tray bakeNov 03, 2019
- Classic rum ballsNov 01, 2019
- The basic crepe recipe every cook needsOct 31, 2019