- 8 medium lemons
- 1 1/2 cup (450g) rock salt
- 5 fresh bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 cup (250ml) lemon juice
- 1Halve lemons lengthways; carefully cut each lemon half in half again, without cutting all the way through. Open lemon halves out slightly.
- 2Squeeze lemons over a large non-metallic bowl to catch the juice. Add lemons to bowl with salt, bay leaves and seeds, mix well.
- 3Pack lemon mixture into 1.5-litre (6-cup) sterilised jar, then pour enough of the juice into the jar to cover lemons. Place a sealed small plastic bag filled with water on top of the lemons to keep them submerged; seal jar. Label and date jar.
Store preserved lemons in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before using. Refrigerate after opening. To use, remove and discard pulp, squeeze juice from rind, rinse rind well, then slice according to recipe. Cinnamon sticks or chillies can be added to jar before sealing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsYesterday 2:00pm
- Mushroom soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022