- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 egg
- 4 uncooked prawns (60g), shelled, chopped coarsely
- 1 small zucchini (90g), grated coarsely
- 1 baby carrot (20g), grated coarsely
- 1 cup (60g) cabbage, sliced thinly
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 slice streaky bacon (60g), trimmed to fit pan
- japanese-style mayonnaise (kewpie) and lemon wedge, to serve
- 1Preheat grill to high heat.
- 2Preheat grill to high heat.
- 3Whisk flour, water and egg in a medium bowl until smooth. Add prawns, zucchini, carrot, half the cabbage and half the onion; season.
- 4Heat oil in a 16cm ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pancake mixture; spread evenly in pan. Cook for 4 minutes or until golden on the base. Place bacon over the top; transfer to the grill. Cook for 8 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- 5Slide pancake onto a plate. Drizzle with sauce mixture and mayonnaise; sprinkle with remaining onion and cabbage; serve with a lemon wedge.
Japanese pancakes, or okonomiyaki as they are also known − meaning 'what you like', are customised using toppings for texture and flavour. To our pancake you could add prepared fried noodles and shredded nori, or even pickled pink ginger. If your frying pan is a few centimetres smaller or larger don't be concerned, simply adjust the cooking time slightly to compensate for the different thickness of the pancake. If the handle of the frying pan is not ovenproof, wrap it in foil.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Melting momentsAug 09, 2020
- Chai-roasted pumpkin soup with honey walnutsAug 09, 2020
- 20 ways with lemon curdAug 09, 2020
- Yorkshire puddings with gravyAug 09, 2020
- White sauceAug 09, 2020
- Lemon curd and poppy seed crêpe cakeAug 09, 2020
- 15 sweet and savoury scrollsAug 09, 2020
- 20 Australian biscuits from our childhoodsAug 09, 2020
- Beef stroganoffAug 09, 2020
- Easy capsicum recipesAug 09, 2020
- How to make basic sconesAug 09, 2020
- Rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesAug 06, 2020
- Cheesy pastry twistsAug 05, 2020
- Easy Spanish paella recipesAug 05, 2020
- Brilliant broccoli recipesAug 05, 2020
- Lasagne recipe collectionAug 05, 2020