- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 egg
- 4 uncooked prawns (60g), shelled, chopped coarsely
- 1 small zucchini (90g), grated coarsely
- 1 baby carrot (20g), grated coarsely
- 1 cup (60g) cabbage, sliced thinly
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 slice streaky bacon (60g), trimmed to fit pan
- japanese-style mayonnaise (kewpie) and lemon wedge, to serve
- 1Preheat grill to high heat.
- 2Preheat grill to high heat.
- 3Whisk flour, water and egg in a medium bowl until smooth. Add prawns, zucchini, carrot, half the cabbage and half the onion; season.
- 4Heat oil in a 16cm ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pancake mixture; spread evenly in pan. Cook for 4 minutes or until golden on the base. Place bacon over the top; transfer to the grill. Cook for 8 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- 5Slide pancake onto a plate. Drizzle with sauce mixture and mayonnaise; sprinkle with remaining onion and cabbage; serve with a lemon wedge.
Japanese pancakes, or okonomiyaki as they are also known − meaning 'what you like', are customised using toppings for texture and flavour. To our pancake you could add prepared fried noodles and shredded nori, or even pickled pink ginger. If your frying pan is a few centimetres smaller or larger don't be concerned, simply adjust the cooking time slightly to compensate for the different thickness of the pancake. If the handle of the frying pan is not ovenproof, wrap it in foil.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021