- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 egg
- 4 uncooked prawns (60g), shelled, chopped coarsely
- 1 small zucchini (90g), grated coarsely
- 1 baby carrot (20g), grated coarsely
- 1 cup (60g) cabbage, sliced thinly
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 slice streaky bacon (60g), trimmed to fit pan
- japanese-style mayonnaise (kewpie) and lemon wedge, to serve
- 1Preheat grill to high heat.
- 2Preheat grill to high heat.
- 3Whisk flour, water and egg in a medium bowl until smooth. Add prawns, zucchini, carrot, half the cabbage and half the onion; season.
- 4Heat oil in a 16cm ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pancake mixture; spread evenly in pan. Cook for 4 minutes or until golden on the base. Place bacon over the top; transfer to the grill. Cook for 8 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- 5Slide pancake onto a plate. Drizzle with sauce mixture and mayonnaise; sprinkle with remaining onion and cabbage; serve with a lemon wedge.
Japanese pancakes, or okonomiyaki as they are also known − meaning 'what you like', are customised using toppings for texture and flavour. To our pancake you could add prepared fried noodles and shredded nori, or even pickled pink ginger. If your frying pan is a few centimetres smaller or larger don't be concerned, simply adjust the cooking time slightly to compensate for the different thickness of the pancake. If the handle of the frying pan is not ovenproof, wrap it in foil.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Yum-yum dan dan noodlesYesterday 1:00pm
- Stained glass biscottiYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best shepherd's pieYesterday 1:00pm
- Nougat semifreddo in white chcocolate conesYesterday 1:00pm
- 19 turkey recipes for the festive seasonYesterday 1:00pm
- 10 recipes to make your Christmas stress-freeYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 prawn salad recipes for you to try this ChristmasYesterday 1:00pm
- 13 outstanding Christmas dessertsYesterday 1:00pm
- Christmas tree shortbreadsYesterday 6:06am
- Jam shortbread snowflakesYesterday 6:00am
- Delicious pumpkin rolls with cook and TV personality Diana ChanYesterday 5:00am
- Classic rum ballsYesterday 4:29am
- How to make your own pizza doughYesterday 4:00am
- Chocolate fig panforteYesterday 1:18am
- How to make honeycomb from scratchYesterday 12:29am