- 2 cup (500ml) milk, or a mix of milk and cream
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 kilogram potatoes, such as desiree, peeled, thinly sliced
- grated or ground nutmeg, to sprinkle
- 30 gram butter, cut into pieces
- 1Preheat oven to 190°C or 170°C fan. Butter a shallow gratin dish.
- 2Place milk in a small saucepan. Squash garlic and add to milk. Heat on low until just simmering.
- 3Place a layer of potato slices over base of prepared dish, sprinkle with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Repeat layers until all potato is used. Pour over milk, dot with butter and cover loosely with foil.
- 4Bake, 1 1/2 hours, adding more milk if necessary, until browned on top and creamy underneath. If liquid is not absorbed after this time, remove foil and continue to cook until ready. Serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsToday 5:00pm
- Salted honeycombToday 1:00pm
- Fluffy buttermilk pancakesToday 1:00pm
- Tuna mornayToday 12:00am
- Flourless cakesYesterday 11:39pm
- White sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Dinner date recipes to impressYesterday 5:50am
- The big chocolate cookieYesterday 5:26am
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 3:28am
- 100 years of Australian dinnersYesterday 1:19am
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlMar 30, 2020
- Coconut dessert recipesMar 30, 2020
- Fast dessertsMar 30, 2020
- Lebanese recipesMar 30, 2020
- Cheesy tuna pasta bakeMar 30, 2020
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeMar 30, 2020