- 500 gram desiree potatoes, unpeeled
- 15 gram butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon finely grated parmesan
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour, approximately
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 375 gram assorted mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh lemon thyme
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 300 millilitre pouring cream
- 1/3 cup (25g) finely grated parmesan
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme sprigs
- 1Boil whole potatoes until tender; drain. When cool enough to handle, peel away skins. Mash potatoes, using a ricer or potato masher into a medium bowl; stir in egg, butter, parmesan and enough flour to make a firm dough.
- 2Divide dough into four portions; roll each portion on a floured surface into 2cm (¾-inch) thick ropes. Cut each rope into 2cm (¾-inch) pieces. Place gnocchi, in a single layer, on a lightly floured tray; cover refrigerate 1 hour.
- 3Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat; cook mushrooms and thyme, allowing the mushrooms to brown well before turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until golden.
- 4Add garlic; stir 30 seconds or until softened. Add cream; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens. Stir in half the parmesan. Season to taste.
- 5Meanwhile, cook gnocchi, in batches, in a large saucepan of boiling water until gnocchi float to the surface and are cooked through. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon to a bowl; cover keep warm.
- 6Once all gnocchi are cooked, add to mushroom sauce; stir gently. Serve topped with remaining parmesan and extra thyme sprigs.
Try using a variety of mushrooms such as flat, cup, button, portobello, oyster and enoki, keeping small mushrooms halved or whole and large types sliced. Cooking the potatoes whole with the peel on keeps the potatoes dry and fluffy-doing this helps to create lightly textured pillows of gnocchi.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Melting momentsAug 09, 2020
- Chai-roasted pumpkin soup with honey walnutsAug 09, 2020
- 20 ways with lemon curdAug 09, 2020
- Yorkshire puddings with gravyAug 09, 2020
- White sauceAug 09, 2020
- Lemon curd and poppy seed crêpe cakeAug 09, 2020
- 15 sweet and savoury scrollsAug 09, 2020
- 20 Australian biscuits from our childhoodsAug 09, 2020
- Beef stroganoffAug 09, 2020
- Easy capsicum recipesAug 09, 2020
- How to make basic sconesAug 09, 2020
- Rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesAug 06, 2020
- Cheesy pastry twistsAug 05, 2020
- Easy Spanish paella recipesAug 05, 2020
- Brilliant broccoli recipesAug 05, 2020
- Lasagne recipe collectionAug 05, 2020