- 500 gram desiree potatoes, unpeeled
- 15 gram butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon finely grated parmesan
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour, approximately
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 375 gram assorted mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh lemon thyme
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 300 millilitre pouring cream
- 1/3 cup (25g) finely grated parmesan
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme sprigs
- 1Boil whole potatoes until tender; drain. When cool enough to handle, peel away skins. Mash potatoes, using a ricer or potato masher into a medium bowl; stir in egg, butter, parmesan and enough flour to make a firm dough.
- 2Divide dough into four portions; roll each portion on a floured surface into 2cm (¾-inch) thick ropes. Cut each rope into 2cm (¾-inch) pieces. Place gnocchi, in a single layer, on a lightly floured tray; cover refrigerate 1 hour.
- 3Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat; cook mushrooms and thyme, allowing the mushrooms to brown well before turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until golden.
- 4Add garlic; stir 30 seconds or until softened. Add cream; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens. Stir in half the parmesan. Season to taste.
- 5Meanwhile, cook gnocchi, in batches, in a large saucepan of boiling water until gnocchi float to the surface and are cooked through. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon to a bowl; cover keep warm.
- 6Once all gnocchi are cooked, add to mushroom sauce; stir gently. Serve topped with remaining parmesan and extra thyme sprigs.
Try using a variety of mushrooms such as flat, cup, button, portobello, oyster and enoki, keeping small mushrooms halved or whole and large types sliced. Cooking the potatoes whole with the peel on keeps the potatoes dry and fluffy-doing this helps to create lightly textured pillows of gnocchi.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chicken satay skewers with crunchy saladJan 14, 2021
- Grilled vegetable and ricotta stackJan 14, 2021
- Lemon sliceJan 14, 2021
- Acai breakfast bowlJan 14, 2021
- LabneJan 14, 2021
- Classic mashed potatoesJan 14, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpJan 14, 2021
- Canned tuna recipesJan 14, 2021
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamJan 14, 2021
- No-bake Mars Bar sliceJan 14, 2021
- Baba ghanoushJan 13, 2021
- Mince and rice stuffed capsicumsJan 13, 2021
- The ultimate collection of tasty dipsJan 13, 2021
- ShortbreadJan 13, 2021