- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 x 400g cans crushed italian tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon (45g) butter
- 4 tablespoon plain flour
- 400 millilitre milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- freshly ground white pepper
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 medium (size 6) free-range egg
- 1.2 kilogram agria potatoes
- 2 medium eggplants
- olive oil
- sea salt
Potato and eggplant moussaka
- 1Make the tomato sauce first. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over a gentle heat. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes until fragrant and just starting to change colour. Tip in tomatoes and add cumin, cinnamon, pepper and salt. Bring to a gentle boil, lower heat and cook gently for 15 minutes.
- 2For the cheese sauce, gently melt butter in a small saucepan, remove from heat, stir in flour, then blend in one-third of the milk. Slowly blend in remaining milk. Set pan over a medium heat and whisk until bubbling. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, then remove from heat and whisk in salt, nutmeg, pepper and grated cheese. Cover sauce with a lid and leave until cool.
- 3Steam potatoes in their skins (or gently boil) until nearly tender (cut in half if large). Cool, peel and slice.
- 4Slice eggplants and pour some olive oil onto a plate. Dunk each slice in a little oil and cook until golden in a ridged pan or cast-iron frying pan. Transfer to a plate as the slices are done and sprinkle with sea salt. Continue with the rest of the eggplant.
- 5Preheat oven to 190°C fanbake. Assemble the moussaka in a buttered 2.5 to 3-litre casserole. Layer potatoes, a seasoning of salt, fried eggplant, then tomato sauce until all ingredients are used up. Beat egg into cheese sauce and spoon on top of casserole. Bake for 30 minutes, until puffed and golden.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cream-free spaghetti carbonaraMar 14, 2019
- Goan fish curry with low-carb cauliflower riceMar 13, 2019
- Mega mushroom burgersMar 13, 2019
- Low-carb turkey and kale lasagneMar 13, 2019
- Spinach and ricotta-stuffed chicken parmigianaMar 11, 2019
- Fennel, lemon, pea & prawn risottoMar 11, 2019
- Sweet potato pizza with fig and pancettaMar 11, 2019
- Lamington popsMar 06, 2019
- Can you eat meat on Ash Wednesday?Mar 05, 2019
- Whole cauliflower with creme fraiche dressingMar 04, 2019
- Subscribe to Women's Weekly FOODMar 02, 2019
- Tomato cheesecakes with green olivesFeb 28, 2019
- Prawn and vegetable japanese hash brownsFeb 28, 2019
- Kale pizza with smoked salmon and avocadoFeb 28, 2019