- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 x 400g cans crushed italian tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon (45g) butter
- 4 tablespoon plain flour
- 400 millilitre milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- freshly ground white pepper
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 medium (size 6) free-range egg
- 1.2 kilogram agria potatoes
- 2 medium eggplants
- olive oil
- sea salt
Potato and eggplant moussaka
- 1Make the tomato sauce first. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over a gentle heat. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes until fragrant and just starting to change colour. Tip in tomatoes and add cumin, cinnamon, pepper and salt. Bring to a gentle boil, lower heat and cook gently for 15 minutes.
- 2For the cheese sauce, gently melt butter in a small saucepan, remove from heat, stir in flour, then blend in one-third of the milk. Slowly blend in remaining milk. Set pan over a medium heat and whisk until bubbling. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, then remove from heat and whisk in salt, nutmeg, pepper and grated cheese. Cover sauce with a lid and leave until cool.
- 3Steam potatoes in their skins (or gently boil) until nearly tender (cut in half if large). Cool, peel and slice.
- 4Slice eggplants and pour some olive oil onto a plate. Dunk each slice in a little oil and cook until golden in a ridged pan or cast-iron frying pan. Transfer to a plate as the slices are done and sprinkle with sea salt. Continue with the rest of the eggplant.
- 5Preheat oven to 190°C fanbake. Assemble the moussaka in a buttered 2.5 to 3-litre casserole. Layer potatoes, a seasoning of salt, fried eggplant, then tomato sauce until all ingredients are used up. Beat egg into cheese sauce and spoon on top of casserole. Bake for 30 minutes, until puffed and golden.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salted honeycombMay 24, 2019
- Chorizo and tomato omelette with chilli beansMay 23, 2019
- Croque monsieurMay 22, 2019
- Osso buco with gremolataMay 22, 2019
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019