- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 4 clove garlic, quartered
- 2 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
- 4 fresh small red thai (serrano) chillies, chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh oregano leaves
- 1.8 kilogram whole chicken
- 1 medium unpeeled lemon (140g), quartered
- 3 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
- 1Blend or process 2 tablespoons of the oil, paste, garlic, rind, juice, chilli, paprika and oregano until smooth. Season to taste.
- 2Rinse chicken under cold water; pat dry inside and out with absorbent paper. Place lemon quarters and thyme inside cavity of chicken; secure cavity with a fine skewer.
- 3Make a pocket under skin of breast, drumsticks and thighs with fingers. Using disposable gloves, rub ¼ cup of paste under skin. Tuck wing tips under chicken; tie legs together with kitchen string. Rub ¼ cup of paste all over chicken.
- 4Heat remaining oil in large frying pan; cook chicken until browned all over. Transfer to 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, for 6 hours.
- 5Cut chicken into pieces; accompany with the remaining paste.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022