- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (170g) medium red onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 slices (90g) pancetta, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 800 gram canned brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 x 150g uncrumbed pork schnitzels
- 1 (140g) medium lemon, cut into cheeks
- 1 bunch (170g) asparagus, trimmed, sliced thinly lengthways
Pork steaks with sauteed lentils
- 1Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over high heat; cook onion, garlic and pancetta, stirring, until onion softens. Add rosemary and 3 sprigs of the thyme; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add lentils and the water; reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until water evaporates. Stir in juice.
- 2Meanwhile, cut pork in half crossways. Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook pork, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until browned and cooked. Remove from pan; rest, covered, for 2 minutes.
- 3Cook lemon halves, cut-side down, in pan for 3 minutes or until charred.
- 4Boil, steam or microwave asparagus until just tender; drain. Season to taste.
- 5Serve pork with lentils, asparagus and lemon; sprinkle with remaining thyme leaves. Season with pepper.
The acidic juice of lemon enhances the taste of food, and they can also reduce a food's GI value.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Citrus almond twistToday 2:51am
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeToday 2:31am
- 10 quick and easy dessertsToday 2:02am
- Teriyaki salmonYesterday 11:44pm
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkYesterday 1:23am
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaYesterday 12:02am
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019
- 25 magical mushroom recipesAug 07, 2019