- 2 kg (4lb) pork loin chops, rib eye roast with 6 ribs
- 1/4 cup (30g) sea salt flakes
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 celeriac (celery root) (2.5kg), peeled, cut into wedges
- 1 medium bulb garlic, cloves separated, unpeeled
- 3 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable stock
- 25 grams (¾oz) butter
- 1Score pork rind at 5mm (¼in) intervals in a cross-hatch pattern, using a small sharp knife (or ask your butcher to do this for you).
- 2Pat pork dry with paper towel. Rub half the sea salt into the rind, vigorously working it into the skin.
- 3Hold a hair dryer over the pork; move it up and down until the rind feels dry to the touch. Place pork, rind-side up, on a tray lined with baking paper. Refrigerate pork, uncovered, overnight or for up to 24 hours. Stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before roasting.
- 4Preheat oven to 240°C/475°F. Tie pork with string between each cutlet. Rub pork with half the oil and remaining sea salt. Place pork on a rack on an oven tray, rind-side up. Roast for
30 minutes or until rind blisters. (Your oven will smoke, however you need this intense heat for really great crackling as the rind will not blister after this stage.)
- 5Meanwhile, combine juice, honey and thyme in a small saucepan over low heat until honey is loose. On an oven tray toss celeriac and garlic with the remaining oil, caraway seeds and half the honey mixture.
- 6Reduce oven to 200°C/400°F. Roast celeriac with pork for 1¼ hours or until celeriac is tender and a meat thermometer reaches 65°C/150°F when inserted into the thickest part of the pork. Cover pork loosely with foil; rest for 15 minutes. Strain cooking juices into a jug, add to the pan with remaining honey mixture and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes until reduced by half. Whisk in butter.
- 7Serve pork carved into cutlets with roast celeriac and reduced cooking liquid.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salted honeycombMay 24, 2019
- Chorizo and tomato omelette with chilli beansMay 23, 2019
- Croque monsieurMay 22, 2019
- Osso buco with gremolataMay 22, 2019
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019