- 800 gram pork fillets
- 3/4 cup (180ml) chicken stock
- 2 medium leeks (700g), sliced thickly
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 10 grams butter
- 2 medium apples (300g), unpeeled, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, extra
- 400 grams baby carrots, trimmed
- 250 gram asparagus, trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 1Preheat oven to 240°C/475°F.
- 2Cook pork in a heated oiled frying pan, over medium-high heat, until browned all over. Place, in a single layer, in a large baking dish; bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until pork is cooked as desired. Cover; stand 5 minutes before slicing thickly.
- 3Meanwhile, heat half the stock in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat; cook leek and garlic, stirring, for 10 minutes or until leek softens and browns slightly. Add sugar and vinegar; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until leek caramelises.
- 4Add remaining stock to pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until liquid reduces by half. Place leek mixture in a medium bowl; cover to keep warm.
- 5Melt butter in same pan over medium heat; cook apple and extra sugar, stirring, for 5 minutes or until apple is browned and tender.
- 6Boil, steam or microwave carrot and asparagus, separately, until just tender; drain.
- 7Serve pork with vegetables, caramelised apple and leek; season to taste.
Pork has a natural affinity with both apple and onion; here, these traditional accompaniments are given a contemporary twist. Serve pork with any steamed vegetable that is in season. The leek mixture can be made several hours ahead; store, covered, in the fridge. Reheat before serving
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019
- 14 cheeky chickpea recipesJun 05, 2019
- Waffles à la suzetteJun 04, 2019
- Vegetable and chickpea frittersJun 04, 2019
- Pea and ham soupJun 04, 2019
- Embrace eggplant with these 10 tasty recipesJun 03, 2019