- 1 kilogram minced (ground) pork and veal
- 1 cup (70g) stale breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (120g) finely grated cheddar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium_piece brown onions (300g), chopped finely
- 1 medium_piece fennel bulb (300g), trimmed, sliced thinly
- 3 1/2 cup (980g) bottle tomato passata
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken or beef stock
- 1Combine pork and veal, breadcrumbs, cheddar, eggs, parsley and half the garlic in a large bowl; season. Roll rounded tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place on tray, cover; refrigerate 20 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- 3Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add half the meatballs; cook 5 minutes or until browned all over, shaking pan occasionally. Transfer meatballs to a 3-litre (12-cup) ovenproof dish. Repeat with another tablespoon of oil and remaining meatballs.
- 4Wipe out pan. Heat remaining oil in same pan over high heat; cook onion, fennel and remaining garlic, stirring, 5 minutes or until softened. Stir fennel mixture, passata and stock into meatballs.
- 5Bake, covered, 45 minutes or until fennel is tender. Season to taste.
Use 500g (1 pound) pork mince and 500g (1 pound) veal or lean beef mince instead, if you like. Fresh breadcrumbs are best made from 2 or 3 day-old bread. Process the bread with crusts into coarse crumbs. This recipe is suitable to freeze at the end of step 4.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesYesterday 1:54am
- Christmas in July recipesYesterday 1:30am
- Sustainable chowderJul 09, 2020
- Sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Perfect puff pastry recipesJul 09, 2020
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingJul 09, 2020
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersJul 09, 2020
- Spaghetti marinaraJul 09, 2020
- Seafood chowderJul 09, 2020
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersJul 09, 2020
- Our best homemade sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Our best hummus recipesJul 09, 2020
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020