- 500 gram pork mince
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 cup (70g) stale breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander roots and stems
- 1 small fresh red chilli, seeded, chopped finely
- 8 green onions (green shallots), sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup (35g) sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil
- 4 bread rolls
- 1 medium (120g) carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup (40g) bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup (80ml) sweet chilli sauce
- 1Combine pork, egg, breadcrumbs, fish sauce, paste, coriander roots and stems, chilli and half the green onion in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly with your hands until well combined and sticky. Divide the mixture into four portions; shape portions into large flat patties. Sprinkle both sides of patties with sesame seeds; press seeds firmly into the patties.
- 2Meanwhile, heat the flat plate of a barbecue over medium-high heat. Drizzle the oil over the barbecue plate. Cook the patties for 4 minutes, then turn and cook for a further 3-4 minutes on the other side. The patties should be browned and cooked through.
- 3Split each bread roll in half; grill or toast each side. Place some carrot on the base of each bun, then top with a patty, bean sprouts, remaining onion and coriander leaves. Drizzle with sweet chilli sauce and top with the remaining bread.
Uncooked patties suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave. Making your own breadcrumbs is a great way to use up stale bread. Remove crusts from 2- to 3-day-old bread. Using a food processor, process until the crumbs are coarse. Put 1-cup amounts in small resealable bags. Label, date and freeze for up to 3 months. Add to patties, meatloaf, coating for schnitzel and sprinkling on the top of bakes.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsSep 16, 2019
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotSep 16, 2019
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladSep 16, 2019
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019