- 3 kilogram whole salmon or ocean trout, gutted, scaled
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- 2 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 cup (250ml) dry white wine
- lemon wedges, to serve
- 1Wipe the fish dry with absorbent paper. Place the fish, herbs, peppercorns and wine in a fish kettle. Add enough cold water to completely cover the fish. Bring to a boil.
- 2Immediately turn off heat and leave salmon in kettle, covered, for 30 minutes. The large fin in the centre of the fish's back should come away easily from the bone when it is cooked.
- 3When the fish is cooked, lift tray with fish on it from the poaching liquid. Allow to drain well. Discard liquid and herbs. Transfer fish to a serving platter; remove skin from the top of fish. Serve with lemon wedges.
Salmon can be poached several hours ahead, but white fish is best poached just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Citrus almond twistYesterday 2:51am
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeYesterday 2:31am
- 10 quick and easy dessertsYesterday 2:02am
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019
- 25 magical mushroom recipesAug 07, 2019