- 1½ cups (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (170g) polenta
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 250 grams butter, chopped
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup (25g) flaked almonds
- 2 teaspoons icing (confectioners') sugar
- 3 medium pears (700g), peeled, cored
- ¾ cup (180ml) water
- ½ cup (175g) honey
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 x5cm strips lemon rind
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- ¼ cup (35g) plain flour
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1Make poached pears.
- 2Meanwhile, process flour, polenta, sugar and butter until crumbly. Add egg; process until ingredients come together. Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth. Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 45 minutes.
- 3Grease a 24cm (9½-inch) loose-based flan tin. Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line tin and about 4mm (¼-inch) thick. Ease pastry into tin, press into base and side; trim edge, reserve trimmings. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Roll reserved trimmings between sheets of baking paper into a 30cm (12-inch) square, place on oven tray; refrigerate.
- 4Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 5Make custard filling.
- 6Place pears in pastry case. Carefully pour in custard filling. Use a pastry cutter or knife to cut 1.5cm (¾-inch) wide strips from remaining pastry. Weave pastry strips to form a lattice on top of tart. Press ends on edge of flan tin to seal; trim edge. Sprinkle top with nuts. Place tart on an oven tray.
- 7Bake tart 45 minutes or until golden. Stand tart in pan 15 minutes. Dust with sifted icing sugar; serve with syrup.
- 8Cut each pear into eight wedges. Place remaining ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to the boil. Add pears; simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until almost tender. Cool in liquid. Drain pears; reserve liquid. Discard thyme and rind. Return reserved liquid to pan; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until syrup thickens slightly.
- 9Whisk ingredients in a large jug.
Serve with thick (double) cream or vanilla ice-cream.This tart is not suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsToday 5:00pm
- Tuna mornayToday 12:00am
- Flourless cakesYesterday 11:39pm
- White sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Dinner date recipes to impressYesterday 5:50am
- The big chocolate cookieYesterday 5:26am
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 3:28am
- 100 years of Australian dinnersYesterday 1:19am
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlMar 30, 2020
- Coconut dessert recipesMar 30, 2020
- Fast dessertsMar 30, 2020
- Lebanese recipesMar 30, 2020
- Cheesy tuna pasta bakeMar 30, 2020
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeMar 30, 2020
- Quick versions of your favourite dessert recipesMar 30, 2020
- Quick and easy plum tartMar 30, 2020