- 1 kilogram plums, quartered, seeds removed
- 2 star anise
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- 185 gram caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) kirsch (optional)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) boiling water
- 3 teaspoon powdered gelatine
- 1Place plums, star anise, sugar and 1 cup water in a large, deep saucepan on high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer 15 minutes, until plums have softened completely and released all their juice. Remove plums from pan and strain juice into a large jug.
- 2Stir kirsch through juice. Keep warm.
- 3Place boiling water in a small heatproof bowl and sprinkle gelatine over. Place bowl in a small saucepan of simmering water (make sure water comes 2cm up sides of bowl). Stir constantly 2 minutes, until gelatine dissolves and mixture is completely clear. Pour into warm juice and stir until well combined.
- 4Pour combined juice and gelatine mixture into 4 serving glasses or bowls. Chill 3 hours, until set.
Kirsch is a cherry brandy liqueur. Jellies can be made a day ahead of serving. Cover and keep chilled.