- 1.5 kilogram red-fleshed plums
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 120 gram unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cup (375g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 cup (20g) flaked almonds
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 2To make plum filling, halve plums; discard seeds. Place plums, cut-side up, in a single layer, in a large roasting dish; sprinkle with sugar. Roast about 25 minutes or until plums are tender. Remove plums with a slotted spoon; place on a large plate. Pour pan juices into a small bowl.
- 3Meanwhile, beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; add sifted flours, stir until dough comes together.
- 4Grease a closed 25cm (10-inch) round springform pan; line base with baking paper. Press two-thirds of the dough over the base and two-thirds of the way up the side of the pan; fill with plums. Roll out remaining one-third of the dough; place over plums, turning excess dough back to sit over top of cake. Sprinkle over nuts.
- 5Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Cover cake with foil; bake a further 40 minutes or until cake is golden and a skewer inserted along the sides of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- 6Serve dusted with sifted icing sugar, if you like, and accompany with pan juices.
Try this cake with other fillings such as apple or pear. The cake is best made on the day of serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021