- 2 teaspoon (7g) dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 3/4 cup (180ml) warm water
- 2 cup (300g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 410 gram canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- 1Combine yeast, sugar and water in a small bowl; cover. Stand in a warm place about 10 minutes, or until frothy.
- 2Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the yeast mixture and olive oil; mix to a soft dough. Bring the dough together with your hands. Add a little extra water, if necessary, to make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
- 3Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Push the dough with the heel of your hand, and give it a quarter turn each time. Place the dough in a lightly oiled large bowl; cover. Stand in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- 4"Punch" the dough down with your fist, then knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Roll out as desired.
- 5Heat olive oil in a medium pan; add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft.
- 6Add tomatoes, tomato paste, caster sugar and oregano; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes or until the mixture is very thick.
- 7Stir in basil; season to taste.
Makes one thick-crust or 2-3 thin-crust pizza bases. For a thick-crust pizza, use the whole quantity of dough or, for thinner crusts, make two or three pizzas from the one quantity of dough. Dough can be made several hours ahead; store in an oiled bowl, covered with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator. (Refrigeration will slow down the rising of the dough.) Dough and sauce suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesYesterday 1:54am
- Christmas in July recipesYesterday 1:30am
- Sustainable chowderJul 09, 2020
- Sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Perfect puff pastry recipesJul 09, 2020
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingJul 09, 2020
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersJul 09, 2020
- Spaghetti marinaraJul 09, 2020
- Seafood chowderJul 09, 2020
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersJul 09, 2020
- Our best homemade sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Our best hummus recipesJul 09, 2020
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020