- 12 sheets fillo pastry
- 120 grams butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1½ cups (210g) pistachios
- 2 cups (200g) walnuts
- 200 grams dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ tablespoons finely grated orange rind
- 1½ cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1½ cups (375ml) water
- ½ cup (175g) honey
- 1 medium orange (240g), rind peeled in long strips
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
- 1Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F. Grease a 22cm x 40cm x 2.5cm oven tray, then line with baking paper.
- 2Make filling.
- 3Layer three pastry sheets, brushing each with a little of the butter. Spread a quarter of the filling over pastry, leaving a 3cm (1¼-inch) border along both long sides. Starting at one long side, roll up pastry to form a log. Place log on oven tray, brush with butter. Repeat with remaining pastry, butter and filling.
- 4Bake baklava for 20 minutes or until golden.
- 5Meanwhile, make honey syrup.
- 6Stand baklava on tray for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Using a small sharp knife, cut each log, on the diagonal, into nine 2cm (¾-inch) wide pieces in the tray. Pour hot syrup over baklava; stand for 3 hours or until syrup is absorbed. Serve topped with chopped walnuts.
- 7Place nuts on an oven tray; roast in oven for 5 minutes or until browned lightly. Cool completely. Process nuts with remaining ingredients until finely chopped.
- 8Stir sugar, the water, honey and rind in a small saucepan, over medium heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in juice.
Serve with greek-style yoghurt.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Garlic breadToday 1:00am
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaYesterday 11:55pm
- Garlic beef stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy recipes with leeksYesterday 1:00pm
- Show-stopping Christmas recipes you'll be famous forYesterday 1:00pm
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 5:37am
- White ChristmasNov 22, 2020
- Perfect roast potatoesNov 22, 2020
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeNov 22, 2020
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsNov 22, 2020
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingNov 22, 2020
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsNov 22, 2020
- Best edible Christmas giftsNov 22, 2020
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020