- 12 sheets fillo pastry
- 120 grams butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1½ cups (210g) pistachios
- 2 cups (200g) walnuts
- 200 grams dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ tablespoons finely grated orange rind
- 1½ cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1½ cups (375ml) water
- ½ cup (175g) honey
- 1 medium orange (240g), rind peeled in long strips
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
- 1Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F. Grease a 22cm x 40cm x 2.5cm oven tray, then line with baking paper.
- 2Make filling.
- 3Layer three pastry sheets, brushing each with a little of the butter. Spread a quarter of the filling over pastry, leaving a 3cm (1¼-inch) border along both long sides. Starting at one long side, roll up pastry to form a log. Place log on oven tray, brush with butter. Repeat with remaining pastry, butter and filling.
- 4Bake baklava for 20 minutes or until golden.
- 5Meanwhile, make honey syrup.
- 6Stand baklava on tray for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Using a small sharp knife, cut each log, on the diagonal, into nine 2cm (¾-inch) wide pieces in the tray. Pour hot syrup over baklava; stand for 3 hours or until syrup is absorbed. Serve topped with chopped walnuts.
- 7Place nuts on an oven tray; roast in oven for 5 minutes or until browned lightly. Cool completely. Process nuts with remaining ingredients until finely chopped.
- 8Stir sugar, the water, honey and rind in a small saucepan, over medium heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in juice.
Serve with greek-style yoghurt.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 5 make-from-scratch desserts to share and impressYesterday 10:00pm
- Embrace eggplant with these 34 tasty recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roasted cauliflower with miso glazeYesterday 6:35am
- Chocolate fig panforteYesterday 1:18am
- Christmas candy cane sliceYesterday 12:46am
- Christmas dinners that aren't Christmas hamDec 01, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchDec 01, 2021
- 34 quick and indulgent treats for ChristmasDec 01, 2021
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- 34 breakfast ideas for Christmas morningNov 30, 2021
- 27 sensational stone fruit desserts for summerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chickenNov 30, 2021