- 4 cup (600g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoon icing (confectioners') sugar, sifted
- 60 gram cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 cup (375) milk (about)
- 3/4 cup (180ml) water
- 1/3 cup (45g) finely chopped pistachios
- 1 tablespoon rosewater
- 1Turn on the oven to 220°C/425°F and let it heat up. Spray an oven tray with cooking oil.
- 2Use a flour sifter to sift the flour and icing sugar into a large bowl; use your clean fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture.
- 3Put the milk and water in a medium jug. Make a "well" in the centre of the flour mixture; pour in the milk mixture. Add pistachios and rosewater. Use a butter knife to slice ("cut") through the flour mixture, mixing the ingredients together to make a soft sticky dough. Sprinkle a little flour onto a board; put the dough on the board. Knead the dough by gently pressing down on it with the heels of both your palms until it is smooth.
- 4Press the dough out to 2cm thickness. Dip a 4.5cm round cutter into some flour; use the cutter to cut as many rounds as you can from the piece of dough. Place the rounds on the tray so they are just touching each other.
- 5Gently knead the scraps of dough back together; press and cut this dough, the same as with the large piece. Place these rounds on the same tray as the others. Use a pastry brush to brush the rounds of dough with a little extra milk.
- 6Put the pan in the oven and bake about 20 minutes or until the scones sound hollow when you tap them firmly on the top with your fingers. Take the pan out of the oven and leave the scones until they are cool enough to touch before serving.
Scone dough can be made in a food processor. Pulse flour, sugar and butter until mixture looks crumbly. Add milk and the water; process until the ingredients come together to make a soft sticky dough. A mixture of milk and water was used for these scones. All milk can be used (darker scones), all water (lighter paler scones) or buttermilk (lighter, fluffier scones).
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Mushroom soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022
- 13 delicious chicken drumstick ideasAug 08, 2022