- 4 cup (600g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoon icing (confectioners') sugar, sifted
- 60 gram cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 cup (375) milk (about)
- 3/4 cup (180ml) water
- 1/3 cup (45g) finely chopped pistachios
- 1 tablespoon rosewater
- 1Turn on the oven to 220°C/425°F and let it heat up. Spray an oven tray with cooking oil.
- 2Use a flour sifter to sift the flour and icing sugar into a large bowl; use your clean fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture.
- 3Put the milk and water in a medium jug. Make a "well" in the centre of the flour mixture; pour in the milk mixture. Add pistachios and rosewater. Use a butter knife to slice ("cut") through the flour mixture, mixing the ingredients together to make a soft sticky dough. Sprinkle a little flour onto a board; put the dough on the board. Knead the dough by gently pressing down on it with the heels of both your palms until it is smooth.
- 4Press the dough out to 2cm thickness. Dip a 4.5cm round cutter into some flour; use the cutter to cut as many rounds as you can from the piece of dough. Place the rounds on the tray so they are just touching each other.
- 5Gently knead the scraps of dough back together; press and cut this dough, the same as with the large piece. Place these rounds on the same tray as the others. Use a pastry brush to brush the rounds of dough with a little extra milk.
- 6Put the pan in the oven and bake about 20 minutes or until the scones sound hollow when you tap them firmly on the top with your fingers. Take the pan out of the oven and leave the scones until they are cool enough to touch before serving.
Scone dough can be made in a food processor. Pulse flour, sugar and butter until mixture looks crumbly. Add milk and the water; process until the ingredients come together to make a soft sticky dough. A mixture of milk and water was used for these scones. All milk can be used (darker scones), all water (lighter paler scones) or buttermilk (lighter, fluffier scones).
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeToday 3:00am
- 40 cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- 20 of our tastiest savoury tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- 40 warming sweet and savoury recipes for your pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- 20 beautiful bundt cakesJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021