- 200 grams roasted unsalted shelled pistachios
- 250 grams butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup (200g) Greek-style yoghurt
- 150 grams traditional Turkish delight, chopped coarsely (optional)
Rosewater butter cream
- 250 gram butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons rosewater
- 3 cup (480g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk, approximately
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C).Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan;
line base and side with three layers of baking paper, extending the papers 5cm above the edge.
- 2Blend or process 1 cup of the pistachios until finely ground. Coarsely chop remaining pistachios.
- 3Beat butter, sugar and rind in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in sifted flours, yoghurt and ground pistachios. Spread mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake for 1¼ hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cover with foil if overbrowning. Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 5Beat butter and rosewater in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until as white as possible. Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar until smooth. Add enough of the milk to make the butter cream a spreadable consistency.
- 6Split cake in half. Place base cake layer, cut-side up, onto a cake plate; spread with one-third of the butter cream, then top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining buttercream over top and side of cake. Decorate top of cake with Turkish delight and chopped pistachios.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022