- 200 grams roasted unsalted shelled pistachios
- 250 grams butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup (200g) Greek-style yoghurt
- 150 grams traditional Turkish delight, chopped coarsely (optional)
Rosewater butter cream
- 250 gram butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons rosewater
- 3 cup (480g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk, approximately
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C).Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan;
line base and side with three layers of baking paper, extending the papers 5cm above the edge.
- 2Blend or process 1 cup of the pistachios until finely ground. Coarsely chop remaining pistachios.
- 3Beat butter, sugar and rind in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in sifted flours, yoghurt and ground pistachios. Spread mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake for 1¼ hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cover with foil if overbrowning. Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 5Beat butter and rosewater in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until as white as possible. Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar until smooth. Add enough of the milk to make the butter cream a spreadable consistency.
- 6Split cake in half. Place base cake layer, cut-side up, onto a cake plate; spread with one-third of the butter cream, then top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining buttercream over top and side of cake. Decorate top of cake with Turkish delight and chopped pistachios.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsToday 7:15am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotToday 5:27am
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladToday 1:30am
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019