- 1 x 470g packet butter cake mix
- 125 gram butter
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- yellow food colouring
- 1 ice-cream wafer
- 1 gold-covered chocolate coin
- 1 round chocolate biscuit
- 1 black licorice strap
- 1 red jelly snake
- 1 chocolate-covered licorice bullet
- 1 green jelly bean
- 1 clinker
- 2 yellow fruit sticks
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease deep 22cm (9-inch) round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above side.
- 2Make cake according to directions on packet; spread into pan. Bake about 45 minutes. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 3To make butter cream, beat butter until white as possible, gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar then milk, then remaining icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
- 4Level cake top; turn cake cut-side down. Cut out shape of pirate's face. Secure cake, cut-side down, on 30cm (12-inch) round cake board with a little butter cream.
- 5Tint one-quarter of the butter cream yellow; spread carefully over hat. Spread remaining butter cream over rest of cake for pirate's face.
- 6Shape ice-cream wafer for pirate's ear, using picture as a guide, spread with butter cream; press ear into side of cake. Press chocolate coin (or ring jube) on ear to make earring.
- 7Cut a small skull and crossbones out of cardboard; position on pirate's hat. Trim one side of chocolate biscuit, position on face to represent eye patch; cut thin strip of licorice to make strap of patch.
- 8Cut red jelly snake for mouth. Position chocolate bullet, jelly bean and thin strip of licorice for eye. Position thin strip of licorice for moustache, trimmed Clinker for nose and long thin strips of fruit sticks for hair.
Ho ho ho and a bottle of red cordial will soon have Pete smiling again. We were lucky enough to find an odd-shaped chocolate- coated sultana for the eyebrow, but use some licorice instead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fish skewers with labne & chilli tomato saladOct 30, 2020
- Vegan mayonnaiseOct 30, 2020
- Smoky tomato & bacon frittersOct 30, 2020
- Japanese cabbage pancakesOct 30, 2020
- Vegetable & lentil pot piesOct 30, 2020
- Lemon drizzle cakeOct 30, 2020
- Luscious lemon cakeOct 30, 2020
- Blueberry muffinsOct 29, 2020
- Broccoli, mustard and cheddar hand piesOct 29, 2020
- Chocolate slab cakeOct 28, 2020
- Sensational spring dinnersOct 28, 2020
- Easy vanilla cupcakesOct 28, 2020
- Chicken & watercress pasta saladOct 28, 2020