- 125 gram butter, at room temperature
- 3/3 cup caster sugar, plus 1 cup extra
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup canned pineapple, drained, crushed
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan forced. Line a 6-hole (3x4-cup) Texas muffin tray with paper cases.
- 2Using a wooden spoon, beat butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Whisk in eggs, one by one, until well combined Add sifted flour. Stir in milk, essence, mixed spice, sultanas, coconut and pineapple until just combined; don't over mix.
- 3Divide mixture among prepared cases. Bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean. Cool.
- 4Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add extra sugar; beat after each addition, until sugar has dissolved. Continue beating until mixture is firm and glossy.
- 5Spoon or pipe meringue over cooled muffins. Bake for 8 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve.
Slightly under cook the muffins so they don't dry out when you return them to the oven to brown the meringue. Use eggs at room temperature. This will give the mixture more volume and help the muffin aerate during cooking. Don't over mix Muffin batter should be light and fluffy; a few lumps in the mixture won't affect the baked result. Save time: Buy your favourite muffin mix, then bake as packet directs. Fill with one of our recipe ideas.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Lamington popsYesterday 1:00pm
- Beet and black bean burgerJan 23, 2020
- Sticky wing with sesame saltJan 23, 2020
- Salmon and potato salad with mustardy dressingJan 23, 2020
- How to bake basic damper while campingJan 23, 2020
- Korean-style barbecued chicken riceJan 23, 2020
- "Eat your greens" chicken saladJan 23, 2020
- Sticky pork with sweet and sour saladJan 23, 2020
- Broccoli and paneer saag curryJan 23, 2020
- Roast pumpkin dip with spiced chickpeasJan 23, 2020
- Szechuan-style chilli eggplantJan 23, 2020
- Paper cup popsiclesJan 23, 2020
- Green minestrone with pestoJan 23, 2020