- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 grams cold butter, chopped coarsely
- ¾ cup (180ml) buttermilk, approximately
- 60 grams butter, extra, softened
- ¼ cup (55g) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- cooking oil spray
- ½ cup (80g) icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl; rub in chopped butter with your fingertips. Add enough buttermilk to mix to a soft, sticky dough. Turn onto a floured work surface; knead lightly until smooth. Roll out into a 30cm x 40cm rectangle.
- 2Lightly grease and preheat a 4-hole (⅓-cup/80ml) pie maker. Cut 12 x 5.5cm rounds from baking paper. Line holes with baking paper rounds.
- 3Spread dough with extra butter; sprinkle with combined sugar and cinnamon (leaving a 2cm border along the top long edge). Spray border with oil spray. Roll dough tightly from the long edge nearest you; pinch seam to seal. Using a serrated knife, trim the ends. Cut roll into 12 x 3cm thick, slices.
- 4Place scrolls, cut-side down, into prepared holes; spray with oil. Close lid; cook for 8 minutes until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat in batches with remaining scrolls; wipe holes clean with paper towel as needed and reline with baking paper rounds.
- 5Whisk sifted icing sugar and milk in a small bowl until smooth and runny. Dip scrolls into icing, place on a baking-paper-covered wire rack. Stand until set before serving.
Try Nutella scrolls:Swap butter, sugar and cinnamon with ⅔ cup (220g) Nutella and ½ cup (60g) finely chopped hazelnuts. Continue as above. Drizzle with icing and sprinkle with finely chopped hazelnuts.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 5 make-from-scratch desserts to share and impressYesterday 10:00pm
- Embrace eggplant with these 34 tasty recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roasted cauliflower with miso glazeYesterday 6:35am
- Chocolate fig panforteYesterday 1:18am
- Christmas candy cane sliceYesterday 12:46am
- Christmas dinners that aren't Christmas hamDec 01, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchDec 01, 2021
- 34 quick and indulgent treats for ChristmasDec 01, 2021
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- 34 breakfast ideas for Christmas morningNov 30, 2021
- 27 sensational stone fruit desserts for summerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chickenNov 30, 2021