The Kmart pie maker has taken Australian kitchens by storm. Here, we've shared our recipe that has been adapted (and deliciously!) to your Kmart pie maker and we now have a cookbook you can buy too.
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 grams cold butter, chopped coarsely
- ¾ cup (180ml) buttermilk, approximately
- 60 grams butter, extra, softened
- ¼ cup (55g) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- cooking oil spray
- ½ cup (80g) icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl; rub in chopped butter with your fingertips. Add enough buttermilk to mix to a soft, sticky dough. Turn onto a floured work surface; knead lightly until smooth. Roll out into a 30cm x 40cm rectangle.
- 2Lightly grease and preheat a 4-hole (⅓-cup/80ml) pie maker. Cut 12 x 5.5cm rounds from baking paper. Line holes with baking paper rounds.
- 3Spread dough with extra butter; sprinkle with combined sugar and cinnamon (leaving a 2cm border along the top long edge). Spray border with oil spray. Roll dough tightly from the long edge nearest you; pinch seam to seal. Using a serrated knife, trim the ends. Cut roll into 12 x 3cm thick, slices.
- 4Place scrolls, cut-side down, into prepared holes; spray with oil. Close lid; cook for 8 minutes until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat in batches with remaining scrolls; wipe holes clean with paper towel as needed and reline with baking paper rounds.
- 5Whisk sifted icing sugar and milk in a small bowl until smooth and runny. Dip scrolls into icing, place on a baking-paper-covered wire rack. Stand until set before serving.
Try Nutella scrolls:Swap butter, sugar and cinnamon with ⅔ cup (220g) Nutella and ½ cup (60g) finely chopped hazelnuts. Continue as above. Drizzle with icing and sprinkle with finely chopped hazelnuts.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021