- 125 grams butter, chopped coarsely
- 3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (125g) molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 1/3 cups (350g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/3 cup (55g) icing sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugar and molasses to the pan; stir until combined. Transfer
to a large bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the egg, then the sifted flour, spices, pepper and soda.
- 3Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place balls, about 3cm apart on trays. Bake for 15 minutes or until biscuits are firm to touch. Stand for 10 minutes.
- 4Sift icing sugar into a small bowl; toss warm biscuits in sugar until well coated. Place on a wire rack to cool.
Suitable to freeze. Step 2 suitable to microwave. The biscuits will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Beet and black bean burgerJan 23, 2020
- Sticky wing with sesame saltJan 23, 2020
- Salmon and potato salad with mustardy dressingJan 23, 2020
- How to bake basic damper while campingJan 23, 2020
- Korean-style barbecued chicken riceJan 23, 2020
- "Eat your greens" chicken saladJan 23, 2020
- Sticky pork with sweet and sour saladJan 23, 2020
- Broccoli and paneer saag curryJan 23, 2020
- Roast pumpkin dip with spiced chickpeasJan 23, 2020
- Szechuan-style chilli eggplantJan 23, 2020
- Paper cup popsiclesJan 23, 2020
- Green minestrone with pestoJan 23, 2020