- 35 centimetre x 60cm rectangular cake board
- 85 gram packet mango jelly crystals
- 3 x 600g packets white mud cakes
- 250 gram butter
- 3 cup confectioner's sugar
- 4 tablespoon milk
- 4 sour worms
- 3 blue sprinkle licorice allsorts
- 11 white tic tacs
- 1 blue bootlace
- 1 green bootlace
Petri dish cake
- 1Make jelly following packet directions. Pour jelly into a shallow dish; refrigerate 30 minutes or until jelly is the consistency of unbeaten egg white.
- 2To make butter cream; beat butter until white as possible, gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar then milk, then remaining icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
- 3Trim icing from cakes. Use a small sharp knife and a tablespoon to scoop out a recess in centre of each cake, about 2cm deep, leaving a 2cm border around edges. Secure cakes on cake board with a little butter cream. Spread butter cream all over cakes
- 4Pour jelly into cakes. Push sour worms into jelly in one of the cakes. Refrigerate all cakes until jelly is set.
- 5Position blue licorice allsorts and Tic Tacs on another cake to resemble microbes.
- 6For remaining cake, cut blue bootlace into small pieces, sprinkle on top of jelly. Cut green bootlace in half; tie a knot in each half and place on top of the jelly for a virus.
We used a heavier-crumbed mud cake as it is more solid and less likely to allow the jelly to leak. Butter cream is firmer than ready-made icing and is less likely to break down into the jelly.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesYesterday 6:40am
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeYesterday 6:02am
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Leek and mushroom lasagneJun 26, 2022
- 21 beautiful baked salmon recipesJun 26, 2022
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- Gluten-free smoky chicken and corn pieJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Lasagne recipe collectionJun 26, 2022
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelJun 26, 2022