- 35 centimetre x 60cm rectangular cake board
- 85 gram packet mango jelly crystals
- 3 x 600g packets white mud cakes
- 250 gram butter
- 3 cup confectioner's sugar
- 4 tablespoon milk
- 4 sour worms
- 3 blue sprinkle licorice allsorts
- 11 white tic tacs
- 1 blue bootlace
- 1 green bootlace
Petri dish cake
- 1Make jelly following packet directions. Pour jelly into a shallow dish; refrigerate 30 minutes or until jelly is the consistency of unbeaten egg white.
- 2To make butter cream; beat butter until white as possible, gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar then milk, then remaining icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
- 3Trim icing from cakes. Use a small sharp knife and a tablespoon to scoop out a recess in centre of each cake, about 2cm deep, leaving a 2cm border around edges. Secure cakes on cake board with a little butter cream. Spread butter cream all over cakes
- 4Pour jelly into cakes. Push sour worms into jelly in one of the cakes. Refrigerate all cakes until jelly is set.
- 5Position blue licorice allsorts and Tic Tacs on another cake to resemble microbes.
- 6For remaining cake, cut blue bootlace into small pieces, sprinkle on top of jelly. Cut green bootlace in half; tie a knot in each half and place on top of the jelly for a virus.
We used a heavier-crumbed mud cake as it is more solid and less likely to allow the jelly to leak. Butter cream is firmer than ready-made icing and is less likely to break down into the jelly.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Pumpkin sconesToday 2:00pm
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesToday 2:00pm
- Custard tartToday 2:00pm
- Vietnamese beef brisketMay 29, 2020
- Baked rice custardMay 29, 2020
- Boeuf bourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Pressure Cooker Beef BourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Camp oven lamb roast with vegetablesMay 28, 2020
- All of our best nachos recipesMay 28, 2020
- Hasselback potatoesMay 28, 2020
- Espresso martini cocktailMay 28, 2020
- Braised beef brisketMay 28, 2020
- All the classic curry recipesMay 28, 2020
- Easy guacamoleMay 28, 2020
- Beef and mushroom family pieMay 28, 2020
- Mulled wineMay 28, 2020