This slice is a classic favourite from our vintage Big Book of Beautiful Biscuits.
- 125 grams butter
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- ¼ cup (35g) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- ½ cup (100g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 90 grams butter, chopped
- 1 cup (150g) unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1Beat butter, sugar and yolk in small bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Stir in remaining sifted dry ingredients.
- 2Press mixture evenly over base of greased 19cm × 29cm rectangular slice pan.
- 3Bake in moderate oven about 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Stand base 5 minutes then spread with hot topping. Bake in moderate oven further 5 minutes. Cool in pan.
Combine sugar, golden syrup and butter in medium pan, stir over heat until butter is melted. Bring to boil, simmer, stirring, about 3 minutes or until mixture darkens and thickens slightly. Stir in nuts.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsToday 5:00pm
- Salted honeycombToday 1:00pm
- Tuna mornayToday 12:00am
- Flourless cakesYesterday 11:39pm
- White sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Dinner date recipes to impressYesterday 5:50am
- The big chocolate cookieYesterday 5:26am
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 3:28am
- 100 years of Australian dinnersYesterday 1:19am
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlMar 30, 2020
- Coconut dessert recipesMar 30, 2020
- Fast dessertsMar 30, 2020
- Lebanese recipesMar 30, 2020
- Cheesy tuna pasta bakeMar 30, 2020
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeMar 30, 2020
- Quick versions of your favourite dessert recipesMar 30, 2020