- 6 egg whites
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 600 millilitre thickened cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 2 large (1.2kg) mangoes, peeled, sliced thickly
- 4 fresh passionfruit
- nasturtium or mint leaves, to serve
- 1Preheat the oven to 120°C (100°C fan-forced). Grease an ovenproof serving platter with a little softened butter; dust with a little cornflour, shake away excess. (Or, draw a 22cm round on baking paper; invert paper onto a lightly greased large oven tray.)
- 2Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add caster sugar, beating until sugar dissolves between additions. Continue beating until the sugar is completely dissolved at this stage.
- 3Reduce speed to low; beat in cornflour and vinegar until just combined.
- 4Spoon meringue on prepared platter to about 22cm round; mixture will spread slightly. Use the back of a spoon to shape the side of the pavlova. Make a slight indent in the top.
- 5Bake, uncovered, for about 1½ hours or until dry to touch. Turn the oven off; cool pavlova in the oven with the door slightly ajar.
- 6Just before serving, beat cream, vanilla and icing sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spoon cream over the pavlova, top with mango, passionfruit pulp and leaves.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave. If you are cooking the pavlova on the serving platter, make sure it will fit into your oven before you start. There are many sturdy porcelain inexpensive serving platters available. Don't use delicate bone china or highly decorated platters.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceYesterday 4:00pm
- Pommes AnnaMar 20, 2019
- Chocolate Easter frecklesMar 20, 2019
- Noughts and crosses chocolate chip easter bunsMar 20, 2019
- 7 creative ways to take damper to the next levelMar 19, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsMar 18, 2019
- Cream-free spaghetti carbonaraMar 14, 2019
- Goan fish curry with low-carb cauliflower riceMar 13, 2019
- Low-carb turkey and kale lasagneMar 13, 2019
- Mega mushroom burgersMar 13, 2019
- Spinach and ricotta-stuffed chicken parmigianaMar 11, 2019
- Fennel, lemon, pea & prawn risottoMar 11, 2019
- Sweet potato pizza with fig and pancettaMar 11, 2019
- Chamomile honey cakeMar 07, 2019