- 2 x 1kg chickens
- fresh oregano leaves, to serve
- 250 gram fresh long red chillies, seeded, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/2 cup (125ml) white vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1Make chilli sauce. Stir ingredients in a small saucepan over high heat, bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered, for 8 minutes or until chilli is tender. Cool 5 minutes. Blend sauce until smooth; season to taste. Strain sauce into a jar. (Makes 1¼ cups)
- 2Preheat a covered barbecue with all burners on low and hood closed until temperature reaches 240°C (220°C fan forced), or follow manufacturer's instructions.
- 3Make oregano and smoked paprika rub. Combine ingredients in a small bowl.
- 4Cut chickens along both sides of backbone with kitchen scissors, remove and discard backbones. Turn chickens over, press down on breastbone to flatten slightly. Place chickens, skin-side up in one large ovenproof dish or two small ones, rub all over with oregano and smoked paprika rub.
- 5Place dish(es) in centre of barbecue, turn burners off underneath dish(es), leaving other burners on low. Cook in covered barbecue 40 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- 6Serve chickens cut into portions, topped with chilli sauce and micro coriander.
Small disposable aluminium baking dishes work well for this recipe. Chickens can also be roasted in the oven on shallow oven trays at 220°C (200°C fan forced) for 40 minutes. Do ahead: Chilli sauce can be made a day ahead, refrigerate in an airtight container. To make the chicken easier and faster to barbecue, it is first flattened by removing the backbone, a cooking technique known as spatchcocking.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- RatatouilleToday 6:11am
- Easter lunch recipesToday 12:43am
- Vegetarian eggplant recipesToday 12:20am
- Scone recipesYesterday 11:38pm
- PikeletsYesterday 6:00pm
- Gluten-free sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Irish soda bread rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious cornflake cookies and slicesYesterday 2:00pm
- Easter baking ideasYesterday 2:00pm
- Sausage casseroleYesterday 2:00pm
- Beef bourguignon and potato pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Easter carrot cake with spiced buttercream & caramel sauceYesterday 2:30am
- Melting momentsApr 06, 2020
- Easter bunny cakeApr 06, 2020
- Our best Easter recipesApr 06, 2020