- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large (200g) brown onion, chopped finely
- 6 drained anchovy fillets, chopped
- 3 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry red wine
- 400 gram can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 kilogram gravy (shin) beef, cut into 5cm pieces
- 500 gram pappardelle pasta
- fresh thyme or basil, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook onion, stirring, until softened. Add anchovy and garlic; cook about 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in tomato paste then wine; bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, for about 3 minutes or until reduced. Stir in undrained tomatoes and herbs.
- 2Transfer mixture to a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker with beef; mix well. Cook, covered, on low for 6-8 hours, or until beef is very tender.
- 3Discard bay leaf. Remove beef from cooker; shred meat coarsely. Return beef to cooker and stir though sauce. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 4Cook pasta in a large saucepan of well-salted boiling water until just tender. Reserve 1/2 cup (125ml) of the cooking water. Drain pasta. Return pasta to pan, toss through the beef ragu and the reserved cooking water if needed.
- 5Serve pasta with fresh thyme or basil, if desired.
Without a slow-cooker, you can cook this ragu in the oven in a casserole dish, covered, for 3 hours at 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Make a double batch of this recipe and freeze the other half for a convenient dinner. Ragu suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Vietnamese beef brisketYesterday 6:52am
- Baked rice custardYesterday 5:26am
- Espresso martini cocktailMay 28, 2020
- All the classic curry recipesMay 28, 2020
- Braised beef brisketMay 28, 2020
- Pressure Cooker Beef BourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Hasselback potatoesMay 28, 2020
- All of our best nachos recipesMay 28, 2020
- Camp oven lamb roast with vegetablesMay 28, 2020
- Beef and mushroom family pieMay 28, 2020
- Easy guacamoleMay 28, 2020
- Boeuf bourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Mulled wineMay 28, 2020
- Vegetarian pasta recipesMay 28, 2020
- Brown rice congee with fried garlicMay 27, 2020