Panettone trifle with sparkling shiraz and berries
- 750 millilitre bottle of sparkling shiraz
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon gelatine powder
- 500 gram small strawberries, halved
- 250 gram blackberries
- 300 gram panettone, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sweet sherry
- 600 millilitre thickened cream
- 2 tablespoon icing sugar, sifted, plus extra, to serve
- 3 cup (750ml) vanilla bean custard (see tips)
- 2 tablespoon orange zest
- 1Combine 1 cup (250ml) of the sparkling shiraz and sugar in a small saucepan. Gradually sprinkle over gelatine powder, allowing it to become wet before adding more; stir to combine.
- 2Transfer to medium heat; stir until gelatine has dissolved. Remove from heat; add remaining shiraz. Transfer to trifle bowl; add half the strawberries and blackberries. Chill for 2 hours or until set.
- 3After jelly has set, it's time to assemble. Place panettone pieces in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with sherry; toss to coat.
- 4Beat thickened cream and icing sugar until firm peaks form; fold in custard. Spoon two-thirds of the custard mixture over jelly, then arrange sherry-soaked panettone cubes around the edge.
- 5Serve the trifle topped with he remaining custard mixture, blackberries, strawberries and orange zest. Dust with the extra icing sugar.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave. You can use orange-flavoured liqueur instead of the sherry, if you prefer. The trifle can be made one day ahead up to the end of Step 3; store, covered in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- How to bake fresh sourdough batardAug 15, 2022
- 28 easy cheesecake slicesAug 15, 2022
- Grilled chicken with barley pilafAug 15, 2022
- Mushroom and goat’s cheese ravioliAug 15, 2022
- Deep-pan pepperoni pizzaAug 15, 2022
- 24 vegetarian lasagne recipesAug 15, 2022
- Tuna mornayAug 15, 2022
- 31 brilliant baked cheesecakesAug 14, 2022
- Overnight oats with muddled strawberriesAug 14, 2022
- Classic blueberry muffinsAug 14, 2022
- 35 vegetarian dishes featuring mushroomAug 12, 2022
- Mushroom soupAug 11, 2022
- 46 creative ways with carrotsAug 11, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022