- 1 large eggplant (500g), cut into 2.5cm (1-inch) pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
2 cups (300g) chickpea flour (besan)
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons garam masala
1½ cups (375ml) water
200g (6½ ounces) paneer cheese,
cut into 2.5cm (1-inch) pieces
vegetable oil, extra, for deep-frying
1 medium lime (65g), cut in half or wedges
Coconut mint chutney
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- ½ cup (40g) shredded coconut
- 2 green onions (scallions), chopped coarsely
- 1 fresh long green chilli, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a roasting pan with baking paper. Combine eggplant, oil and cumin seeds in pan; season. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time or until golden. Reduce oven to 100°C.
- 2Meanwhile, make coconut mint chutney. Process ingredients until smooth. Season to taste.
- 3Whisk chickpea flour, ground coriander and garam masala in a medium bowl to combine. Whisk in the water until just combined. Season. Stir in eggplant and paneer.
- 4Fill a large saucepan one-third full with extra oil; heat to 180°C (or until a cube of bread browns in 10 seconds). Deep-fry individual pieces of eggplant and paneer, in three batches, allowing excess batter to drain off before adding to the oil, for 3 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towel. Season with salt.
- 5Serve fritters with chutney and lime.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021