- 2 kilograms (4 pounds) veal osso buco
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions (300g), chopped finely
- 2 garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 700 gram bottled passata (see tip)
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) beef stock
- 1 medium lemon (140g)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C/340°F.
- 2Coat veal in flour; shake off excess. Heat oil in large flameproof casserole dish over high heat; cook veal,
in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until browned. Remove from pan.
- 3Cook onion in same dish, stirring over medium-high heat, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and wine; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until wine is reduced by half. Add passata and stock; return veal to pan, spoon sauce mixture over veal. Bring to the boil. Cover with a lid or foil. Cook in oven for 2 hours or until the veal is almost falling off the bone.
- 4Meanwhile, make gremolata: Using a zester, remove rind from lemon into thin strips (or finely grate). Combine rind, parsley and garlic in a small bowl.
- 5Serve osso buco sprinkled with gremolata. Serve with creamy potato mash and steamed green beans.
Passata is sieved pureed tomato, without any added flavourings; sold in bottles or jars in most supermarkets alongside other bottled pasta sauces. If it's not available, puree canned whole tomatoes then push through a sieve to remove any remaining lumps.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- South-East Asian dinner recipesYesterday 11:51pm
- Peach galetteYesterday 2:00pm
- What food is in season in June?Yesterday 2:00pm
- Pineapple upside-down cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterYesterday 2:00pm
- Impossible pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Pumpkin sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- 14 sweet & savoury buttermilk recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Custard tartYesterday 2:00pm
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Banana cake recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Vietnamese beef brisketMay 29, 2020
- Baked rice custardMay 29, 2020
- Easy guacamoleMay 28, 2020
- Boeuf bourguignonMay 28, 2020