- 6 pieces veal osso buco (1.8kg)
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 40 grams (1½ ounces) butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 sticks celery (450g), trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 6 drained anchovy fillets, chopped coarsely
- 3/4 cup (180ml) dry white wine
- 800 grams (1½ pounds) canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F.
- 2Coat veal in flour, shake off any excess. Heat butter and oil in large frying pan; cook veal, in batches, until browned both sides. Transfer veal to large ovenproof dish.
- 3Cook celery and anchovy in same pan, stirring, until celery softens. Add wine; bring to the boil. Stir in undrained tomatoes, stock, garlic, thyme and bay leaves; return to the boil.
- 4Pour tomato mixture over veal; cook, covered, in oven about 1½ hours or until veal starts to fall away from the bone.
- 5Meanwhile, combine gremolata ingredients together in a small bowl.
- 6Serve osso buco sprinkled with gremolata.
Osso buco originates from Milan and is traditionally served on risotto alla milanese (saffron risotto) with a good sprinkle of gremolata. It can also be served on soft polenta or pasta.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker borschtMay 14, 2019
- Ricotta recipes for a delicious dinnerMay 14, 2019