- 2 kilograms (4 pounds) veal osso buco
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions (300g), chopped finely
- 2 garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 700 gram bottled passata (see tip)
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) beef stock
- 1 medium lemon (140g)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C/340°F.
- 2Coat veal in flour; shake off excess. Heat oil in large flameproof casserole dish over high heat; cook veal,
in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until browned. Remove from pan.
- 3Cook onion in same dish, stirring over medium-high heat, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and wine; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until wine is reduced by half. Add passata and stock; return veal to pan, spoon sauce mixture over veal. Bring to the boil. Cover with a lid or foil. Cook in oven for 2 hours or until the veal is almost falling off the bone.
- 4Meanwhile, make gremolata: Using a zester, remove rind from lemon into thin strips (or finely grate). Combine rind, parsley and garlic in a small bowl.
- 5Serve osso buco sprinkled with gremolata. Serve with creamy potato mash and steamed green beans.
Passata is sieved pureed tomato, without any added flavourings; sold in bottles or jars in most supermarkets alongside other bottled pasta sauces. If it's not available, puree canned whole tomatoes then push through a sieve to remove any remaining lumps.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsYesterday 7:15am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotYesterday 5:27am
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladYesterday 1:30am
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019