Orange syrup cakes
- 3 oranges
- 250 gram butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup (120g) semolina
- 3/4 cup (90g) almond meal
- 3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
Orange syrup cakes
- 1Preheat oven to moderately slow. Line two 12-hole (⅓-cup/80ml) muffin pans with paper cases.
- 2Coarsely chop oranges, including skin; remove and discard seeds. Place oranges in medium saucepan, add enough boiling water to cover. Bring to a boil, simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until tender; cool.
- 3Drain oranges, then blend or process until smooth.
- 4Beat butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined between additions.
- 5Transfer mixture to large bowl; stir in semolina, almond meal and sifted flour, then add orange puree. Spoon mixture into prepared cases.
- 6Bake in moderately slow oven about 40 minutes.
- 7Make orange syrup. Peel rind thinly from orange, avoiding any white pith. Cut rind into thin strips. Combine sugar and the water in small saucepan, stir over low heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Bring syrup to a boil; add rind, simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Transfer syrup to a heatproof jug.
- 8Place hot cakes on wire rack over oven tray. Pour hot orange syrup over hot cakes. Serve warm or cold.
Cakes can be made four days ahead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Cauliflower cheeseYesterday 7:00am
- Slow-cooker Thai basil and chilli chicken with cashewsYesterday 6:15am
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesYesterday 5:15am
- Lemon drizzle cakeYesterday 4:18am
- Rhubarb and vanilla baked custardYesterday 2:44am
- Cottage pieMay 23, 2022
- Cheesy vegetable pasta bakeMay 23, 2022
- Turkish bread with lamb and eggsMay 23, 2022
- 20 perfect pasta bakesMay 23, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaMay 23, 2022
- Italian chicken schnitzelMay 23, 2022
- 20 sensational schnitzelsMay 23, 2022
- Shortbread buttonsMay 23, 2022