- 1 1/4 cup (300ml) boiling water
- 3 ceylon orange pekoe tea bags
- 60 gram (2 ounces) butter
- 1/2 cup (70g) finely chopped seeded dried dates
- 1/2 cup (75g) raisins
- 1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (115g) honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/2 cup (55g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1Adjust oven shelves to fit upright nut roll tins. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Butter two 8cm x 17cm (3-inch x 7-inch) nut roll tins, bases and lids; sprinkle with flour; shake away excess flour. Place bases on tins, place tins upright on oven tray.
- 2Pour the water over tea bags in heatproof jug; stand 5 minutes. Discard tea bags. Transfer tea to large bowl; stir in chopped butter, dates, raisins, sugar and honey, stir until butter is melted. Cool.
- 3Stir egg into fruit mixture, then sifted dry ingredients and nuts.
- 4Divide mixture evenly between tins, replace lids. Bake nut rolls about 35 minutes. Stand rolls 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool.
Stand nut rolls, upright in tins, on oven tray The tin needs to be coated thickly with melted butter so the roll won't stick to the inside of the tin. Don't use cooking-oil spray, as this doesn't give a good enough coating and the roll will stick and be hard to turn out. Serve nut roll slices with butter.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesToday 5:15am
- Lemon drizzle cakeToday 4:18am
- Rhubarb and vanilla baked custardToday 2:44am
- Cottage pieYesterday 6:00pm
- Cheesy vegetable pasta bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Turkish bread with lamb and eggsYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 perfect pasta bakesYesterday 2:00pm
- Italian chicken schnitzelYesterday 2:00pm
- 21 delicious chicken meals to make in your slow cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaYesterday 2:00pm
- Shortbread buttonsYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 sensational schnitzelsYesterday 2:00pm
- Air fryer Nutella turnoversYesterday 2:00pm
- Classic beef lasagneYesterday 2:00pm