Orange drippy syrup cake
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 30 gram butter, chopped
- 3 medium (720g) oranges
- 250 gram unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup (385g) caster sugar, extra
- 4 eggs
- 2 cup (300g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 2/3 cup (80g) almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (180g) sour cream
- double cream or vanilla ice-cream, optional, to serve
- 1Combine sugar and water in a large saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, without stirring, for 10 minutes, until a lovely caramel colour. Keep a close eye on the pan. Add the butter and stir briskly with a metal spoon. Be prepared for the mixture to froth up.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan and line base and side with baking paper.
- 3Finely grate the rind from oranges. Peel oranges, removing all the white pith. Cut oranges in half from top to bottom, then cut out the centre in a V-shape to remove white membranes. Cut into 1cm slices. Arrange orange slices over base of pan. Pour caramel over oranges.
- 4Using electric beaters, beat unsalted butter, rind and extra sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in dry ingredients and sour cream in two batches. Spread batter carefully over oranges and smooth the top.
- 5Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Stand for 10 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieToday 5:13am
- Caramel sliceYesterday 11:16pm
- Corn and kidney bean quesadillas with tomato salsaYesterday 1:00pm
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansYesterday 1:00pm
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsYesterday 1:00pm
- Brown fried rice with carrot, cabbage and red onionYesterday 1:00pm
- Raspberry crumble almond tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Braised beef cheeks in red wineYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Yesterday 1:00pm
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingYesterday 1:00pm
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawYesterday 1:00pm
- Creamy mushroom and spinach gnocchiYesterday 1:00pm
- Fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniYesterday 1:00pm
- Jam rollYesterday 1:00pm
- Cumin-spiced steak with white bean hummusYesterday 1:00pm