- 1 cup (150g) dried dates, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice, warmed
- 60 gram butter
- 1/4 cup (90g) treacle
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon treacle
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, finely grated
- 1/4 cup (60ml) orange juice
- 25 gram butter
- 1Grease 2-litre (8-cup) pudding steamer.
- 2Combine dates and juice in small bowl, cover, stand 20 minutes.
- 3Melt butter with treacle in small saucepan. Remove from heat, stir in soda, transfer mixture to medium bowl. Stir in sifted flour and spice, then combined milk and egg, in two batches. Stir in date mixture.
- 4Spread mixture into steamer. Cover with pleated baking paper and foil, secure with lid.
- 5Place pudding steamer in large saucepan with enough boiling water to come halfway up side of steamer, cover pan with tight-fitting lid. Boil 1 hour, replenishing with boiling water as necessary to maintain water level. Remove pudding, stand 5 minutes before turning onto a plate.
- 6Meanwhile, make orange syrup. Combine ingredients in small saucepan, stir over medium heat until smooth. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes.
- 7Serve pudding with orange syrup.
The pudding is at its best made on the day and served hot. The big day wouldn’t be complete without a pudding of some sort. If there's a large crowd, especially where you have a range of different age groups, it’s a good idea to serve both a hot pudding – either traditional, or one of the quirky modern pudding recipes in this chapter – with a lovely sauce, as well as a cold dessert. Make life easier for yourself by choosing a recipe that can be made well ahead of the big day.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Citrus almond twistAug 20, 2019
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeAug 20, 2019
- 10 quick and easy dessertsAug 20, 2019
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019
- 25 magical mushroom recipesAug 07, 2019