- 9 egg whites
- 270 grams butter, melted
- 1½ cups (180g) almond meal
- 2¼ cups (360g) gluten-free icing sugar
- ¾ cup (100g) gluten-free plain flour
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 oranges (480g)
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1½ cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 kg greek yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1Make vanilla labne. vanilla labne Stir ingredients in a medium bowl until combined. Spoon yoghurt mixture into a sieve lined with two layers of muslin (or a clean Chux cloth); place over a medium bowl. Tie cloth close to yoghurt. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight, twisting the yoghurt ball at the top occasionally, or until thick. Stir labne until smooth.
- 2Preheat oven 160°C. Grease a deep 20cm round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 3Whisk egg whites, butter, almond meal, icing sugar, sifted flour, rind and nutmeg in a large bowl until well combined. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake for 1 hour 40 minutes (cover with foil halfway through cooking to prevent overbrowning) or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack over an oven tray.
- 5Meanwhile, remove rind from oranges in long strips with a zester. Squeeze juice from oranges; you need ½ cup (125ml) juice. Stir orange and lemon juices, caster sugar and strips of orange rind in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil for 5 minutes or until syrup thickens. Remove from heat. Reserve 2 tablespoons syrup and rind. Pour remaining hot syrup over hot cake.
- 6Serve cooled cake with vanilla labne and reserved syrup and rind.
You will need to start the labne a day ahead.The leftover whey will keep refrigerated for up to 2 days. use it in your smoothies or soups. A savoury labne can be made by omitting the sugar and vanilla. To fast track the draining process, wring the top of the cloth every 15 minutes.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Super-simple chicken parmigianaAug 08, 2022
- Gluten free basic biscuitsAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022
- 13 delicious chicken drumstick ideasAug 08, 2022
- Veal braciole with rice and peasAug 08, 2022
- Beef mince and rice burritosAug 08, 2022
- Lemon deliciousAug 07, 2022
- Beef and lentil curryAug 07, 2022
- Gluten-free peanut butter cookiesAug 07, 2022
- Apple streusel sliceAug 07, 2022
- 22 cost effective meals using mince and riceAug 07, 2022
- Creative ways with celeriacAug 07, 2022
- Salsa verdeAug 06, 2022
- Popcorn butterscotch squaresAug 05, 2022