Orange buttermilk cake
- 125 gram butter, softened
- 3 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar (or caster sugar)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1 cup gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 medium oranges
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or caster sugar)
Orange buttermilk syrup cake
- 1Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Grease and flour a 20cm baba cake pan; tap pan and shake out excess flour.
- 2Beat butter, rind and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes or until light and creamy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, beat until combined. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, stir in the almonds then flour and buttermilk in two batches.
- 3Beat egg whites in a clean small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold into batter in 2 batches. Spread mixture into the prepared pan.
- 4Bake cake for about 45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Stand 5 minutes. Tap and gently shake cake in pan to release from the side before turning onto a wire rack over a tray.
- 5Orange syrup: Meanwhile, remove the rind from one of the oranges with a zester. (Or, remove rind with a vegetable peeler, avoiding white pith. Cut rind into long thin strips.) Squeeze juice from oranges; you will need ¾ cup (180ml). Combine rind, juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a simmer; simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes.
- 6Pour hot syrup over hot cake. Pour syrup collected in the tray into jug; repeat until all the syrup is used.
- 7Serve warm or cooled with thick yoghurt or ice-cream, if desired.
We’ve also tested this recipe with a reduced-fat dairy spread which works well. If you don’t have buttermilk, you can combine 2 teaspoons lemon juice with ½ cup (125ml) reduced-fat milk.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Seafood chowderOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021
- Kumara pancakes with maple yoghurtOct 13, 2021
- 34 fabulous friand recipesOct 13, 2021
- 25 ravioli recipesOct 13, 2021
- Creamy chicken kormaOct 13, 2021
- Kumara and coconut tarts with pecan toffeeOct 13, 2021
- 32 brilliant blueberry dessertsOct 12, 2021
- Beetroot, blackberry yoghurt popsiclesOct 12, 2021
- Spicy fruit mince pillowsOct 12, 2021