Onion and brie tart
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry
- 20 gram butter
- 2 white onions, 1 sliced, 1 wedges
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 red onion, wedges
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, plus sprigs, to serve
- 125 gram brie, sliced
- dressed green salad to serve
Onion and brie tart
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease an 11x34cm loose-based flan pan.
- 2Line pan with pastry sheets, trimming to fit and pressing to seal. Trim edges. Chill until required.
- 3In a medium frying pan, melt butter on medium heat. Add the sliced white onion and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes until softened. Reduce heat to low and cook for a further 10 minutes until golden. Stir in sugar and vinegar. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring until sticky. Set aside to cool.
- 4In a medium bowl, toss red onion and remaining white onion with olive oil and garlic. Set aside.
- 5Spread caramelised onion over pastry. In a jug, whisk eggs, cream and thyme together. Season. Pour into pastry case. Top onion wedges. Bake for 30-35 minutes until set and golden.
- 6Arrange cheese over the top and return to the oven for 1-2 minutes until cheese starts to melt. Scatter with extra thyme sprigs and accompany with salad.
If preferred, use creamy blue cheese.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsAug 11, 2022
- Mushroom soupAug 11, 2022
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022