- 300 gram self-raising flour, sifted
- 150 gram brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 180 gram margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- plain flour, for rolling
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoon brandy
- 4 tablespoon warm water
- 3 apples
- juice of ½ lemon
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the flour, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- 2Cut the margarine into cubes and add to flour mix. Using the dough hook attachment, mix together on a low speed. Add the beaten egg while mixing.
- 3Once a dough has formed, remove from the bowl and knead by hand to form a ball. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 4Take 1/3 of the pastry, wrap and return to fridge. Using plenty of flour, roll out the remaining pastry to 1.5cm thickness on a clean work surface.
- 5Lay the pastry over your floured rolling pin, then gently place it in a greased 20cm tart tin. Lightly press into the tin and use any leftovers to patch rips or holes.
- 6Return to the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- 7Soak the raisins in brandy and warm water for 20 minutes.
- 8Peel the apples and cut into slices around the core. Place in a large bowl with lemon juice, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- 9Drain raisins, add to apples and toss to coat.
- 10Retrieve tart base from fridge and arrange apple mix inside. Roll out the reserved pastry to the same diameter as the tart.
- 11Cut into 1.5cm strips and lay over the apple filling in a lattice pattern. Brush the pastry top with water and dust with icing sugar.
- 12Bake for 40 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool in tin. Serve with cream.
Mike’s Top Tips: You can make this recipe in muffin tins or individual portions that kids will go crazy over, especially when heated up and served with a scoop of ice cream. I recommend balancing the sweetness of the taart ingredients with a more sour apple, such as Granny Smith or Braeburn.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Rosé sangriaYesterday 11:53pm
- SangriaYesterday 2:00pm
- ChurrosYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato and salmon salad with mustardy dressingYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow-cooker silverbeet dhalYesterday 10:20am
- SpanakopitaYesterday 6:57am
- Lamb birriaYesterday 6:40am
- Sesame Turkish ring breadsYesterday 3:32am
- 42 brilliant brownie recipesYesterday 2:29am
- Chilli con carneYesterday 2:15am
- 30 easy vegetarian curry recipesYesterday 12:18am
- 23 easy bread recipesMay 18, 2022
- VichyssoiseMay 18, 2022
- Classic margaritaMay 18, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinMay 18, 2022