Lemony apple filling
- 7 (1.5kg) large apples. peeled, cored, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup (60ml) iced water, approximately
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup (35g) cornflour
- 1/4 cup (30g) custard powder
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 125 gram cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/4 cup (60ml) iced water, approximately
Old-fashioned apple pie
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- 2To make lemony apple filling: Cut each apple quarter in half lengthways. In a large saucepan, place apples with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until apples are just tender. Transfer apples to a large bowl; gently stir in sugar, cinnamon and lemon rind. Cool to room temperature.
- 3To make dough: In a large bowl, add flours, custard powder, half the sugar, butter; blend or process for about 2 minutes, or until just combined. Add egg yolk and enough of the water to make ingredients just come together.
- 4On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 5Roll two-thirds of the dough between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line a 23cm-round pie dish. Ease dough into dish; trim edge. Cover; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 6Roll remaining pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to cover pie; discard pastry scraps.
- 7Spoon lemony apple filling evenly into pastry case; brush edge of pastry with some egg white. Cover filling with pastry sheet. Press edges together firmly; trim using knife. Using fingers, pinch edges to make a frill. Brush pastry with remaining egg white. Sprinkle pie with remaining sugar.
- 8Bake for about 40 minutes or until pie is golden brown. Serve.
This apple pie can be made two days ahead and refrigerated, covered, but pastry will tend to soften a little under the apple.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Strawberry and almond friand sliceYesterday 9:00pm
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaYesterday 6:51am
- Mandarin marmaladeYesterday 6:41am
- Chocolate caramel semifreddo with honeycomb and mandarinYesterday 5:51am
- Mandarin and chai soufflesYesterday 5:13am
- Magical mandarin recipesYesterday 4:37am
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker borschtMay 14, 2019