- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (125ml) boiling water
- 185 gram butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (165g) nutella
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (330g) nutella
- 200 gram dark chocolate, melted, cooled
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Stir cocoa and the water in a small heatproof jug until cocoa dissolves. Cool 10 minutes.
- 3Beat butter, sugar and extract in a small bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then cocoa mixture and Nutella until combined (mixture may look curdled at this stage). Beat in sifted dry ingredients and buttermilk, in two batches, until smooth. Spread mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake for 1 and 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, make frosting: Gently combine Nutella and cooled melted chocolate in a medium bowl. Stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, or until mixture is spreadable (frosting will firm slightly when spreading).
- 6Spread frosting over top and side of cooled cake.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019
- 14 cheeky chickpea recipesJun 05, 2019
- Waffles à la suzetteJun 04, 2019
- Vegetable and chickpea frittersJun 04, 2019
- Pea and ham soupJun 04, 2019
- Embrace eggplant with these 10 tasty recipesJun 03, 2019