- 1 kilogram ripe nectarines, halved, stoned
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar, plus 2 tablespoons extra
- 200 gram butter, at room temperature
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind of
- 1 orange, finely grated rind of
- 3 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cup (250g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 2/3 cup (160ml) buttermilk
- thickened cream or vanilla ice-cream (optional), to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 22cm springform pan.
- 2Cut each nectarine half into 8 thin wedges. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with extra sugar.
- 3Using an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and rind until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Fold in combined flour and baking powder alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Spoon into prepared pan.
- 4Drain nectarine wedges, reserving juices. Arrange half of nectarines over cake mixture. Bake for 30 minutes. Arrange remaining nectarines over cake. Bake for another 30 minutes, until cooked when tested with a skewer. Spoon reserved juices over cake and stand for 10 minutes. Serve with cream or ice-cream, if desired.
This cake can be made easily in a food processor. Start with butter, sugar and rind and gradually add remaining ingredients, processing to form a smooth batter.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafToday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoyYesterday 2:00pm
- Stuffed capsicumYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced beef nachosYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried sausagesYesterday 2:00pm
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamYesterday 5:00am
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020