This traditional Malaysian nasi lemak consists of a basic plate of coconut milk rice, 'sambal', cucumber salad and fried hard boiled egg.
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed well
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 350 grams white fish fillets, cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil, plus extra to shallow fry
- 12 green prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- cucumber salad (see tip)
- wok-fried eggs (see tip)
- blanched choy sum, roasted peanuts and coriander to serve
- 3 long red chillies, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 4 eschalots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons tamarind puree
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 500 grams cucumber
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup rice wine
- sliced chilli
- 1Place rice in a large saucepan with coconut milk, water and pinch salt. Bring to boil on high. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 5-10 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and rest, covered, 10 minutes.
- 2Make sambal. Using a mortar and pestle, pound chillies and garlic to a rough paste. Heat oil in wok on medium. Stir-fry eschalots 4-5 minutes, until tender. Add chilli paste. Stir-fry 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add remaining ingredients with a little water. Stir-fry 3-4 minutes, until thick.
- 3In a medium bowl, toss fish with soy to coat. Set aside 5 minutes.
- 4Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan on medium. Stir-fry prawns 2-3 minutes, until they change colour. Drain on paper towel.
- 5Heat extra oil in same pan on high. Shallow-fry fish pieces 3-4 minutes, turning until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
- 6Serve rice with fish, prawns, cucumber salad, wok-fried eggs, choy sum, peanuts, coriander and freesh sambal.
- 7Remove seeds from cucumber and slice thinly.
- 8Sprinkle with sugar, salt and drizzle with wine. Add chilli.
Wok-fried eggs - fry hard-boiled eggs in oil.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesApr 16, 2021
- Potato recipesApr 16, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyApr 16, 2021
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021