- 30 grams butter
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- ½ cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 10 grams dried porcini mushroom slices, torn
- 2 cups (400g) arborio rice
- 60 butter, extra
- 300 button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 200 swiss brown mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1Heat butter in large frying pan; cook onion, stirring, until softened. Add wine; bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, until liquid is almost evaporated. Add stock, the water and porcini; bring to the boil.
- 2Place rice in 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker; stir in onion mixture. Cook, covered, on high,1½ hours. Stir well.
- 3Meanwhile, heat 20g (¾ ounce) of the extra butter in same pan; cook button mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until browned. Remove from pan. Heat another 20g (¾ ounce) butter in same pan; cook swiss brown mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add garlic and thyme; cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- 4Stir button mushrooms and swiss brown mushroom mixture into cooker. Cook, uncovered, on high, about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 5Stir in cheese and remaining butter; season to taste. Serve immediately, sprinkled with extra thyme and parmesan cheese.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 43 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertYesterday 5:51am
- Rhubarb and strawberry sponge puddingsJun 30, 2022
- 18 gorgeous green curriesJun 30, 2022
- What to make with your preserved lemonJun 30, 2022
- Nacho bowlsJun 30, 2022
- Preserved lemon, mint and raisin couscous saladJun 30, 2022
- Tomato-braised lamb shanks with creamy polentaJun 30, 2022
- What food is in season in July?Jun 30, 2022
- Choo-choo train birthday cakeJun 30, 2022
- Cheese and silverbeet borekJun 29, 2022
- Minestrone with barley and greensJun 29, 2022
- 42 perfect puddingsJun 29, 2022
- Tzatziki dipJun 29, 2022