This delicious mushroom ragu recipe uses a mix of mushrooms to create a tender, rich stew served on top of soft, creamy polenta for an earthy, warming vegetarian dish.
- 30 grams butter
- 500 grams cup mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable stock
- 150 grams soft goat's cheese
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 1 cup (170g) instant polenta
- 40 grams butter, chopped
- ¾ cup (60g) finely grated parmesan
- 1Heat butter in a large heavy-based frying pan over high heat; cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are browned lightly and most of the liquid is evaporated. Season. Add garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in stock; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer for 2 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season to taste; cover to keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, make soft polenta. Bring milk and stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Gradually add polenta, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until polenta thickens. Stir in butter and parmesan. Season to taste.
- 3Pour polenta immediately onto a serving board or plate; using the back of a spoon, make slight indents in polenta. Spoon mushrooms over polenta using a slotted spoon; drizzle with some of the pan juices. Top with small chunks of goat's cheese; sprinkle with parsley.
- 4Serve with a mixed herb salad.
We used a mixture of king brown, portobello, oyster, enoki and swiss brown mushrooms. You can create your own mix of mushrooms or purchase a packet of mixed types.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sushi riceYesterday 2:00pm
- All the classic curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken, bacon and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Basic butter cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect pork curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried pork rissolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pancake recipesApr 12, 2021
- Carrot and lentil soup with coriander pestoApr 11, 2021
- Healthy banana breadApr 11, 2021
- Pumpkin soupApr 11, 2021
- Vegetarian chilli beansApr 11, 2021
- Rösti cottage pieApr 11, 2021
- Very vegetarian Mexican recipesApr 11, 2021
- Roast beefApr 11, 2021
- Spicy Mexican soup with chickenApr 11, 2021