- 500 grams (1lb) mixed mushrooms (see tip)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 30 grams (1oz) butter
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup (20g) finely grated parmesan
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 1 cup (170g) instant polenta
- 40 grams (1½oz) butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup (60g) finely grated parmesan
- 1Halve or thickly slice any large mushrooms. Heat half the oil and butter in a large frying pan over high heat; cook half the garlic and mushrooms, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until mushrooms are browned. Remove from pan. Repeat with remaining oil, butter, mushrooms and garlic. Return all mushrooms to pan. Add stock; bring to the boil, cook for 2 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Season to taste; cover to keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, make soft polent: Bring milk and stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Gradually add polenta, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until polenta thickens. Stir in butter and parmesan. Season to taste.
- 3Pour polenta immediately onto a large platter. Spoon mushrooms over polenta using a slotted spoon; drizzle with some of the pan juices. Top with grated parmesan.
We used a mixture of king brown, portobello, oyster, enoki and swiss brown mushrooms. You can create your own mix of mushrooms or purchase a packet of mixed types.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Bread and butter picklesJan 14, 2019
- Scrambled tofu wrapsJan 14, 2019
- Vegan "shepherdless" pieJan 14, 2019
- Sashimi tuna poke bowlJan 14, 2019
- Apricot choc-chip muesli barsJan 10, 2019
- Prawn, kale, and chickpea tabboulehJan 10, 2019
- Classic carrot cake with cream cheese frostingJan 10, 2019
- Sweet potato brownies with espresso toppingJan 10, 2019
- Kale and quinoa frittataJan 10, 2019
- Sage & zucchini-wrapped haloumi saladJan 09, 2019
- Soft polenta with mushroom raguJan 09, 2019
- Spaghetti squash con quesoJan 09, 2019
- Mango cheesecake tart with palm sugar syrupJan 09, 2019